Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,498   Online: 905

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeyes View Post
    I forgot to mention that its not photographing your own kids that is the problem, some people are paranoid that in a team sport their kids will included in your photographs even if they are only in the background.

As a parent there are a lot of concerns and worries with regard to your kids. Being in a teammates snapshots of a children's soccer game is NOT one of them.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This all is so ridiculous. If I only could laugh about it…

As I wrote above, the more we give in the worse it becomes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It has never once even occurred to me that somebody might be uncomfortable with me photographing my kids in a public place.
    There's the rub. In my town the City Council has determined that indoor pools, skating rinks etc. aren't really "public" and have enacted a bylaw expressly forbidding anyone from taking pictures of children on "their" property. They hide behind the reasoning that if they didn't enact such a measure, pervs would be free to take phone cams into the washrooms/changerooms to take photos and there would be nothing to be done about it. I know of an individual who was taking shots of kids (not his) having fun in a public wading pool, and he was asked (not so politely) to get off "their" property.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    This all is so ridiculous. If I only could laugh about it…

As I wrote above, the more we give in the worse it becomes.
    I first encountered this in New York in the mid-90s. The first time the police stuck their noses in was in the UK in the late 90s.

That's one reason I live in France. Not the only one, but not irrelevant either.

Paranoia.

cheers,

Roger

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a funny thing. I take pictures of random kids around the neighborhood all the time, and only get smiles, waves, and requests for copies (which I fill if i can find the parent later). I keep expecting someone to to object, but it doesn't happen. I don't know if it is because I live in an art-friendly area, or just don't look threatening. Could be both, of course. And I do get random people walking up and asking me questions (about cameras, or for directions) wherever I go, so maybe it's me.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP View Post
    It's a funny thing. I take pictures of random kids around the neighborhood all the time, and only get smiles, waves, and requests for copies (which I fill if i can find the parent later). I keep expecting someone to to object, but it doesn't happen. I don't know if it is because I live in an art-friendly area, or just don't look threatening. Could be both, of course. And I do get random people walking up and asking me questions (about cameras, or for directions) wherever I go, so maybe it's me.
    Same here (rural France). Thank the gods that there are still plenty of sane people in the world.

Winderful quote from a circus owner, when I asked if it was OK to publish pictures from his circus.

"Of course. Why not? They are your pictures."

(Mind you, I gave him a CD of the pics, with a release for any publicity for the circus)

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Taking pictures of kids playing soccer does not make you a pedophile. You want pictures so that you can have pictures your kids as kids. There should be no other explanation needed.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In that `name the photographer´ thread we just came about a Cartier-Bresson photograph of playing children. Does it mean that it and some of his other street photography shown in an US exhibition will be scrutinized retrospectively...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    In that `name the photographer´ thread we just came about a Cartier-Bresson photograph of playing children. Does it mean that it and some of his other street photography shown in an US exhibition will be scrutinized retrospectively...
    Since the OP was in the UK; how is the above quote at all relevant except that once again we have the "political" dragged in by those with some kind of overarching agenda?

Time for Art to fire up the popcorn machine. This thread is definitely veering off into the "fringe"....

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's surprising sometimes to open up popular photography magazines from the 40s-60s (or even Life) and see how often people submitted snapshots of kids running around bare-assed. At the time these were considered charming examples of innocence.

I wonder if Coppertone could put up its dog billboards nowadays?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin