Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,244   Posts: 1,680,180   Online: 932

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker View Post
    I agree. But this goes beyond the paparazzi category I believe.

Well, some if not many tourists with their cameras take the same kind of approach on non-celeb people sometimes, like geisha ladies in Kyoto, Japan. The geishas are ordinary people who live there and work for their clients, but because they are part of the tourism attraction, when they go outside (to go to work), they get a tremendous amount of attention from the tourist crowd.

If you're in the area in the early evening, you will see a lot of camera flash going on and wonder who's in the spot getting such a red-carpet treatment, etc, and it's not a Hollywood or any other type of media celeb. And usually when the geisha accompanied with her client(s) is caught with a large crowd, she can't get out of the cab, etc.

You know it's not like every tourist is pursuing a career to be a National Geographc photographer, but certainly, some seem to do that quite aggressively, and when you walk by them, concerning the "public interest" and so on, you go, "What the f--k?" I think we are just too much sometimes...
    It sounds like what is missing is a little cultural sensitivity. What is considered appropriate in some cultures, can be rude in others. IMO, a good travel photographer should be aware of these things, or find another line of work.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    The paps merely service the media who are the true whores.

The true whores are the people who create a demand for this type of story. Why should anyone care what Paris Hilton does?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I think everyone who is blaming the paparazzi for the publics' possibly well-founded mistrust of photographers is actually a symptom of the underlying issue.

By photographing someone, especially without their consent, you are "capturing" their image, and therefore possessing a piece of them. I know the question going through my mind would be, "Why do they want my image/What does this person want from me? (admittedly, I AM hot, so it is sort of understandable;-P )"

But in all seriousness, from that moment, they have lost control of a piece of themselves, and I think THAT is the fundamental basis of the mistrust of photographers. The stories of indigenous people fearing that the photographer has stolen their soul is not that far from the point here. That mistrust has just been amplified and transferred to all photographers by the ease of making/capturing pictures.

I was on a website yesterday of an artist who photographs people through car and bus windows as they are stuck in NYC traffic (I can not remember the site, but when I find it again I will post a link to it). But think if it were you being photographed while you were trapped in traffic in a car or bus, and try to convince yourself that it is not about power.

Richard
    ". . . photographing as a two-way act of respect. Respect for the medium and letting it do what it does best- describe. And respect for the subject in describing it as it is. A photograph must be responsible to both."-- Garry Winogrand

"Art is just a Series of Natural Gestures."-- John Marin

My Platinum Printing Blog

My WEBSITE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Boutwell View Post
    But think if it were you being photographed while you were trapped in traffic in a car or bus, and try to convince yourself that it is not about power.
    Dear Richard,

I don't have to try very hard. Do you?

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven View Post
    Unfortunately now the situation is that if it seems you have too nice a camera, more than one camera, a tripod, or anything too photographically beyond a point & shoot camera, then you must be some sort of intrusive surveillance or unethical professional.
    Well said.
    With paranoia in general building up, you just might be a terrorist, pedophile or pervert. I'd never thought of the paparazzi as fuel for the fire though, interesting.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven View Post
    Unfortunately now the situation is that if it seems you have too nice a camera, more than one camera, a tripod, or anything too photographically beyond a point & shoot camera, then you must be some sort of intrusive surveillance or unethical professional.
    Which strikes me as odd. Surely the person skulking around with a small, discreet camera is more suspicious than the one carrying a damn great SLR kit!

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, Andy K, I don't understand that perception either. I try to be as conspicuous as possible when I am running solo out in public (usually either practice or portfolio images). It works different when it is an arranged shoot in public, with assistants, stylists, models, et al . . . perhaps because the entourage validates the anticipated usage. Maybe even stranger is that when working with a crew, you sometimes have trouble getting the general public out of the way, or out of the images.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post
    The true whores are the people who create a demand for this type of story. Why should anyone care what Paris Hilton does?
    Well, to some extent it is a "chicken v. egg" kind of thing. But about a year ago, Ted Turner 'fessed up that he felt the biggest mistake CNN had done was to start treating celeb PR as "news". It was a slippery slope that led to the "serious media" finding it easier and easier to justify "reporting" the garbage that used to be the province of the supermarket tabloids.

The real "media adultery" occurred a few years ago when one of the networks revealed that it had paid for what was ostensibly a "newsworthy" interview. Never before (at least not admittedly) had a so-called "responsible" news outlet paid a person of interest for an interview.

And now, it's all just business as usual. The fact is that the NY Times reported on how NBC outbid ABC for an interview with Hilton in its business section. Paying for interviews is now such an accepted practice that the media will pay money to an ex-con (who is a kind of bizarre "role model" to many young people). Hilton will not only take the dough, but then use the media outlet to "rehabilitate" her "image" with her "public".

Meanwhile, there's a war in Iraq and one in Afghanistan. People continue to die in the Darfur genocide etc. But that kind of "news" even if it is "free" is just too depressing for the media to report.
    Last edited by copake_ham; 06-23-2007 at 07:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    People is the answer.

Cameras are owned by people and well, there's a whole lot of a$$holes out there who own cameras.

That's it.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin