Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,289   Online: 937

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Maturing Prints?

I often times run across a dilemma before I print negatives, especially people photography. I develop my negatives, make sure I do it right, and then I look at them briefly, and store them in a binder. Then I take them out every once in a while, letting the impression of it sort of soak in.
    I cannot take the negative to the darkroom and print it and do well until the impression has sunk in, making sure I understand my 'image'. If I try prematurely I fail miserably. Now this presents an interesting problem, especially with people photography - they usually want feedback and results instantly. Yesterday I printed a negative that had sat for nine months. I hadn't been ready until then.
    How do you react to this? What is your method? Can you develop a neg, and as soon as it dries, you start printing?

Thankful for some elaboration on this. Am I the weird odd ball, or are there more people like me

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My printing is rarely done immediately after a negative is developed. Certainly not in the same evening. Usually, it takes me a week or two (most of the time, it's longer than that) to get around to printing.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not go a step further and contact proof them, Thomas? Might be a different starting point for the "soaking-in" process and might lead you a better (or at least faster) decision process. I proof all, print few and hang them up somewhere. In my case, looking at the prints for a while (weeks sometimes) leads me to understand how I want to "adjust" them.
    Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I contact print my negatives immediately. Then make straight prints of those that show promise. I then stick the print on the wall of my office where I will have to look at them everyday. Everyday I see new burning and dodging, etc. possiblities and have a pen and paper for notes. Sometimes I print within a few days and sometimes it is months later.
    "Nobody is perfect! But even among those that are perfect, some are more perfect than others." Walt Sewell 1947

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good ideas, I would like to have been the one to think of those. So I'm not the only one with decision making difficulties, I just have to learn new methods.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the same method as Bill Mobbs. But I've found that the straight prints are good enough for the immediate gratification crowd. It's a recognizable face and because (in my case) it's black and white, it must be "artsy".

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I usually scan those negs that i think will be a print at some time. put them on my screen saver at work and let them run for a while.
    There are an occational exceptions but rarely do i go to the darkrom to print right after developing my negs.

jan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Negatives change while in storage. This is fact. It cannot be disputed. I have had the most fantastic pictures on the back of a groundglass completely ruined through storage. My vision at the time of composition was flawless. The image completely degrades during processing and negative storage to the point where I wonder who in heck came in and substituted my fantastic photograph with this substandard negative in my files? Even more puzzling, is where did that great image I saw go? Who has it? And why are they getting famous with it and not me?
    A New Project! Transformations 02/02/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience is just the opposite of Joe's = my negatives seems to improve with storage. A lot of times, I'm stunned by how great a negative has become sitting in a folder for two or three years.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    My experience is just the opposite of Joe's = my negatives seems to improve with storage. A lot of times, I'm stunned by how great a negative has become sitting in a folder for two or three years.
    juan
    yeah, i'm often shocked at what a genius i once was!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin