Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,247   Online: 802

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Bill, may I copy one of yours?

Quote Originally Posted by wfe View Post
    I do use other's work as a starting point in developing my own vision and concepts. I have found it to be a wonderful way of digging into my own abilities, stimulating ideas and triggering inspiration. If I end up with something close to the original I will simply list it as homage to the originator and acknowledge that it is not totally my own concept or idea. I see nothing wrong with doing this and have in fact had top notch photographers in workshops recommend this as a way to develop one's own talents and skills. I do work very hard at making my own pictures as well. In many cases my pictures end up very different from the original I started with which can be a wonderful journey.

Cheers,
    Bill
    I commented recently on one of yours, Candice nude #1 I believe. I am fortunate that my birthday is coming up Friday, my wife *may* have gotten me a Rolleicord, AND she's agreed to let me do a nude outdoor shoot of her. I'd love to use that same composition if I get the Rollei. My wife's no model but she'd look nice in that same sort of pose.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    well, i've been photographing my weimaraners for years.... still waiting for a cheque from MOMA tho..... <G>

wayne

Shooter
    35mm
    it would be nice to have your own idea and creativity.
    I was born and brought up in Iran, a beautiful country full of history.
    k o m b i z z

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Would You Copycat an Image???
    Why not?

As fas as I can see, there's nothing even remotely unethical about thinking "Hey, that's a great photo ... I wonder if I can do something like that?" and then trying it.

It would be a 180' different to claim credit for the idea though ....

cheers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My answer would be a definitive NO! I have gone to a location of which I viewed a photograph by another photographer, even accompannied one once. I see their POV. Then I see scales, POV's, lighting and contrast possibilities and then go to town. Yeah, you can definitely see the similarities but it is MY CREATION. On the occasion that the photographer was with me, he commanted something along the vein of 'I had never seen that in what I saw.'
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Making copies of famous master works is a very recommended way of learning to make pictures (after acquiring sufficient technical skill to at least try it) -- maybe not so much with photography, though certainly with painting. But once one has the technical skills I think one should concentrate on what hasn't been done, while paying attention to the good aspects of what has been done. There are only two areas in photography: what has been done, and what hasn't been done. Photography hasn't even been around for two hundred years (painting has been around since the birth of man), so almost nothing has been done yet with it. The oft-heard expression "it's all been done already" expresses nothing but a lack of imagination.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I seek out and readily accept inspiration from others: photographers, sculptors, painters, authors, and architects have all influenced my work. I have occassionally done homages such as this one http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...00&ppuser=5914, but have no interest in actually copying someone else's work. How boring would that be?

I believe that closing one's eyes to what has gone before is restrictive and self-destructive. So I'll often use another piece as a stepping off point for my own creativity, but the finished work is mine. For example, Dante wrote about Ugolino and his sons who were imprisoned and condemmed to starve to death in 13th century Pisa. Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux then created this sculpture based on Dante's writing. And I'm planning to work on some photographs inspired by the sculpture. Who's copying who? No-one, but there's a trail of inspiration for sure.
    Last edited by Ian Leake; 07-08-2007 at 05:51 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Pressed the wrong button and posted by mistake

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 25asa View Post
    It has all been done before.
    So, yes, it is destiny to copy somebody else.

:P

It has NOT all been done before. ALot has been done and it takes creativity to come up with new views and ideas but new concepts can be pulled off. The view that all has been done is what I was taught in school and I am very against the idea because it's simply not the case.

Perhaps all has been done in the straight landscape image but even that I don't think is true.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    About ten years ago when I first got back into photography I took my younger son to Jackson Hole and then on to Yellowstone. We looked for and found the iconic Teton sites...(those farm buildings against the Tetons for instance)....and even found a roadside pullout that was AA's vantage point for his Teton view of which I'm sure because it's actually named for him! In fact, when we showed up at dawn there were about a dozen other folks with cameras and tripods standing beside us. :rolleyes:

The result was 1) I have never had a more 'empty' experience with a camera since that trip. 2) The exposures I took were pretty awful. The lesson for me was that I needed a far deeper understanding of what I would have to do to make a successful photograph, and that copying another's image wasn't going to offer much satisfaction for me as a hobbiest. I haven't knowingly copied anyone elses work since, but I've also learned that it takes a lot of courage to break new ground without the security of redoing the familiar (rusted old vehicles and such).
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format

Update from the field...

Well, I just finished 6 nights running around Crested Butte and Lake City Co. I got to "live" this question!
    I camped in a beautiful area called "American Basin."
    I made my camp about 1 PM, hiked around until I found my composition, then settled back to wait for the light.
    Their were about 30 or so nice clusters of Columbine flowers running along the hillside with the peaks in the background. Lots of daytrippers were using them as foreground. I set up my rig around 4 and shot nice changes until about 5:30. Around 5, this guy sets up, and starts shooting all around me. He insulted my film rig by asking "still doing it the old fashioned way?"
    Well, I laughed that off sure enough, when he ran out of his "memory card."
    So I finished, packed up, and was walking back to camp, when I looked around and he was setting up in my exact footprints! Wide-angle shot, with the same cluster of flowers.
    I guess we both had the same eye, or he was wanting to get what I saw. I'm not sure. For all I know, this type of thing happens all the time, just never so blatantly to me.
    My only consolation will be that he had a "logic error."
    DT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin