Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,569   Posts: 1,545,463   Online: 1151

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by davetravis View Post
    I guess we both had the same eye, or he was wanting to get what I saw. I'm not sure. For all I know, this type of thing happens all the time, just never so blatantly to me.
    My only consolation will be that he had a "logic error."
    DT
    Dear Dave,

But how much does it matter?

If anyone wants to try to duplicate my best shots -- and I've made a few I'm reasonably proud of in the last 41 years -- I'll even try to help 'em. Why not? Even I can't reliably duplicate my best stuff, so why should I worry when someone else tries? At least if, as in 99.99% of cases (or more), there is no likelihood of commercial conflict between them and me.

And quite often, my wife and I will shoot from what looks like exactly the same place, one after the other, seconds apart, and get completely different photographs. At other times, with exactly the same procedure, we get subtly different photographs where one or the other is clearly a better stab at the same thing. Only very rarely do we get the 'same photograph' where we can't tell (without other evidence, such as other frames on the same roll) which of us shot it.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would never deliberately copy a photograph unless I had a specific intention to use the "duplication" to create something new.

Off the top of my head, I can imagine copying a Mapplethorpe shot, but adding or subtracting elements to give the shot a new meaning, in relation to his shot or his body of work. But I need to have a real strong idea before trying something like that.

In general though, I realise that most of my shots have been done before in one way or another. But my aim is not to be unique, it is to enjoy my hobby and passion. Sometime I might develop a style that is "mine", or at least recognisable as mine.
    Last edited by timeUnit; 07-17-2007 at 09:23 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: misspelllll
    Be careful his bow tie is really a camera
    timeUnit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I actually enjoy "copycating" images. I just don't do it in a deliberate or unimaginative manner (I hope!).

Cf for instance these three pictures in my gallery:
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...00&ppuser=6132

In the description, I link to the pictures they resemble.
    This happened sometimes accidentally (the first one) or willfully.

This one: http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...00&ppuser=6132
    I also made with the look of Mondrian's paintings in mind. Compare with:
    http://www.artchive.com/artchive/M/m...brown.jpg.html

I like also the way Jeff Wall often copies a famous painting in his photographs.
    Cf for instance his picture The Destroyed Room with Delacroix's Death of Sardanapalus, and his other one Picture for Women with Manet's A Bar at the Folies-Bergères:

http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/exhibi...oms/room1.shtm
    Last edited by Michel Hardy-Vallée; 07-17-2007 at 09:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Roger,
    Yea, when I go to the most popular spots, there can be a crowd of folks standing elbow to elbow.
    But that's when I don't even unload my gear.
    What really bugged me was how he waited until I left, then used the exact same foreground as myself.
    He claimed to be a full-time pro, so I'll assume he'll sell some of it.
    Why should I care?
    Maybe it was just because he was a filmophobe!
    DT

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    So I finished, packed up, and was walking back to camp, when I looked around and he was setting up in my exact footprints! Wide-angle shot, with the same cluster of flowers.
    I've had similar experiences. Rather than get upset about it I'd rather feel happy that I've helped someone else to broaden their vision. And after all, immitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Roger,
    Yea, when I go to the most popular spots, there can be a crowd of folks standing elbow to elbow.
    But that's when I don't even unload my gear.
    What really bugged me was how he waited until I left, then used the exact same foreground as myself.
    He claimed to be a full-time pro, so I'll assume he'll sell some of it.
    Why should I care?
    Maybe it was just because he was a filmophobe!
    DT
    Dear Dave,

Yeah, I'll go for the last sentence.

Bit 'pro' is widely misunderstood. When I lived in California, if I said I'd written/illustrated several books, a common reply was, 'Have you had any of them published...?'

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would, but only as a learning tool. I have original ideas of my own.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Imitation is also not to be confused with copycating. Joachim DuBellay, a French Renaissance poet, had the best metaphor for it: to imitate is like to eat. You consume, you absorb what the others have done before you (in his case the Roman poets), and this nourishes you, gives you nutrition and energy.

Compare for instance "Chattanooga, Tennessee" in the thumbnail below with the following by Diane Arbus: http://www.studio-international.co.u...82364761_b.asp

I now believe that Robert Frank taught the Americans how to take pictures of themselves.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chattanooga-RF.jpg  
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't have a problem with it personally - I don't live in Paris, New York, LA, London, a place with farm troubles/famine, or a war zone, so if someone said a photo of mine looked like HCB, Garry Winogrand, Dorothea Lange, Robert Cappa, James Nachtwey, et al, I would be extremely flattered. In fact it would mean the hours I've spent browsing around looking at photos I like would have rubbed off (or my Canadian city is in the middle of a civil war, but that's highly unlikely)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The extreme vast majority of the photography world is composed of copycats. Look around you. Do your own thing. Photograph what interests you and in time the world will be interested too if you have talent and the photographs show it. Otherwise you are just another wanna be. I have had one rule in my photographic life and that is if I thought I had seen something before I just passed it by.

Patrick

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin