Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,955   Posts: 1,522,806   Online: 966

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Speaking of these legacy materials selling on eBay, have you seen the prices people are paying for Kodachrome 25? I used some from my own supply a few weeks ago, and in a moment of sentimentality for the old stuff (still the only color film I really like), I thought I'd see if there was any up for auction, and I found that it's going for about $12-13 USD a roll!
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I can't comment on the photo industry, but I can relate how the scuba magazines work. It's the same there as in the photo mag's, all the new stuff is way cool, ya gotta have it, blah blah blah. Then they have the testing and recommendations sections. I have been told by a manufacturer that the magazines "sell" their recommendations. For a top rating say it's $50,000, for a testers choice it's more money and so on. The manufacturers that refuse to participate in this milking/shake down are never reviewed even though they may be some of the best equipment out there.

I suspect the commercial photo mags are not adverse to receiving some extra bucks now and then.

The only thing I look for in photo mags are how-to articles and articles that feature some artist I'm am interested in. The rest of it is just that much land fill as far as I'm concerned.

I enjoy Black & White magazine. It's a mag for collectors of B&W and usually has some stunning photos in it. Actually the ads taken out by photographers in the last part of the mag is some of the best stuff.

FWIW that's how I feel.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It is pretty bad out there. The only "popular" style magazine I have ever liked is one from the U.K. that I can't even remember the name of! I bought a friend an old Practika on E-bay for her birthday, and noticed this magazine at the bookstore. It was a direct import and actually had an article on Practikas! MENTIONED ON THE COVER! Not hidden in the back in the "collectors" column. Wow!

Wish I could remember the name of it.....

Otherwise most suck. Either they pander (Petersons, Pop Photo, etc.) or they get too "star struck" like American Photo (Sorry, but does Alyssa Milano warrant a whole article of her 'work'?). View Camera and Camera Arts I can deal with....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robert Kennedy @ Jan 7 2003, 11:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>

Otherwise most suck. Either they pander (Petersons, Pop Photo, etc.) or they get too &quot;star struck&quot; like American Photo (Sorry, but does Alyssa Milano warrant a whole article of her &#39;work&#39;?). View Camera and Camera Arts I can deal with....</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
    Life sometimes just sucks, I can get here in Mexico American Photo, I saw the same article...lol.....but no View Camera, or Lenswork magazines.....I suppose seein Alyssa Milano is more important for some people....

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    could you see the tattoo&#39;s she has. LOL Are Consumer photo mags corrupt?

Yes...

lee&#092;c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Black and White Enthusiast is a good mag also, published in Australia I think.

And Black and White Photography, published in England.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    True, although in the same magazine they have had the standard "Film is dead&#33; Only amateurs use film&#33;" line. But at least they seem to be leaving it up to the writer and not the camera makers.
    ----------------------

</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robert Kennedy @ Jan 7 2003, 06:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> It was a direct import and actually had an article on Practikas&#33; &nbsp;MENTIONED ON THE COVER&#33; &nbsp;Not hidden in the back in the "collectors" column. &nbsp;Wow&#33;

Wish I could remember the name of it.....

</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    The only UK magazine I can think of that frequently deals with what might be thought of as "collector&#39;s" cameras is Amateur Photographer. Recent highlights of the last few months include Rolleicords, Voigtlaenders, Topcons, Mirandas, folders, and that sort of thing. AP certainly isn&#39;t ashamed to advertise such stuff on its cover, and I&#39;d guess that is the most likely candidate, but of course a one-off article could have been in just about any magazine.

http://www.amateurphotographer.com/

[Sadly no on-line content, other than a basic run-down on what is in the magazine each week.]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I&#39;ll have to ask the person I gave it to I guess&#33;

It was ncie though to see such a thing covered and placed on the FRONT of a magazine.

As I develop, I find it harder and harder to find a magazine that fits where I am at. I don&#39;t need to know things like "How to use your light meter", but at the same time some of the higher end magazines tend to go into "here is XXXXX and they made this picture...." Nice, but sometimes I need more technical stuff. Plus it can be a bit daunting to see the work of people on the level of Jack Dykinga and (insert a Weston here).

Speaking of Westons....

I got a copy of B&W Magazine last week. My girlfriend started looking through it. After about 10 minutes she simply said to me "You should change your name to Weston. These Weston people all have shows."

----------------------

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin