Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,288   Online: 748

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I just got back from the local book shop and flipped through 5 consumer photography publications. They were all basically one giant, digital love fest. Digital advertisements blanketing nearly every page. Digital vs. Traditional articles in all the mags I flipped through always 'concluded' that digital was better than traditional. I'm starting to wonder how clouded or influenced their judgement is? These publications are funded by advertisements which are promoting digital hardware. How could the writers possibly say anything negative about digital without getting fired? One writer said his digital epson prints far exceeded any known silver printing process! Another writer said his process of using an inkjet printer was far better on the environment! He forgot to mention the environmental impact of all his computer hardware, ink, used up cartridges, special injet papers, power consumption, etc, etc, etc. It's like something out of a bad movie. I thought I was going to gag in the middle of the book shop. Is it just me, or have all the articles in consumer photo mags become nothing more than advertisements on the digital hardware makers behalf?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Of course they wont bite the hand that feeds them, I have yet to see a magazine article that says something bad about any product.
    The epson prints are nice, but never like the real thing, is just that these people have to say this to keep their job, I mean c'mon what are they going to say? nope digital sucks? no way, the pink slip would be waiting on their desk as soon as they got back from the bathroom. The same way that years ago you could not read anything bad about a camera/enlarger/lens. If the guy said, nope dont use this lens you are better off using a coke bottle bottom, there goes the pink slip......So dont even fret about it, remember their job is to make people want to buy the stuff. I think is great the more people want to use digital the cheaper the analog stuff gets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know what you mean. No way a pic from any printer will equal a real print, and I have used the best printers there are (at work). They look nice, but when you look closer you can see the difference. But, there are compensations....I just took delivery on an enlarger that only cost me $10. It appears a lot of people are dumping their "analog" equipment. So, I can once again print my own 35mm and medium format stuff when I don't feel like using the view cameras.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jorge @ Jan 5 2003, 07:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I think is great the more people want to use digital the cheaper the analog stuff gets.</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
    ...until the manufacturers drop it for low sales. R-3000, Fuji Type-35 RC, Azo (almost).

Shooter
    Large Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (b.e.wilson @ Jan 5 2003, 08:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jorge @ Jan 5 2003, 07:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I think is great the more people want to use digital the cheaper the analog stuff gets.</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
    ...until the manufacturers drop it for low sales. R-3000, Fuji Type-35 RC, Azo (almost).</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
    As I said there are many advantages in using digital for color, specially with light jet prints and fuji crystal archive. From what I have seen these color prints last as long as Ilfochrome and are indistinguishable from a print made from a negative. Long after Azo and other silver papers are gone there will be alternative methods for printing in B&W. If film is gone, wet plate collodion and dry plate will be available. OTOH the plate maker for my pt/pd prints new is about &#036;1500, i picked up at E bay for &#036;500 including shipping. Thank God for the digital revolution&#33;

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    No surprises there. Have these magazines like _Popular Photography_, the old _Modern Photography_, _Outdoor Photographer_, etc., ever been about anything but shopping for the latest equipment, heavily advertised in each issue? I haven&#39;t really been looking at these publications for years, but I&#39;d be shocked if there were an article, say, in _Outdoor Photographer_ called "Getting the most out of your Manual Focus Tele," or a piece in _Pop Photo_ on older T-mount and M42 lenses. They exist to hype the new equipment.

Better to read publications like _Lenswork_, _View Camera_, _Camera Arts_, _PhotoVision_, _Contact Sheet_, _Black and White_, and _Afterimage_.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (David A. Goldfarb @ Jan 5 2003, 06:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>No surprises there. Have these magazines like _Popular Photography_, the old _Modern Photography_, _Outdoor Photographer_, etc., ever been about anything but shopping for the latest equipment, heavily advertised in each issue? I haven&#39;t really been looking at these publications for years, but I&#39;d be shocked if there were an article, say, in _Outdoor Photographer_ called &quot;Getting the most out of your Manual Focus Tele,&quot; or a piece in _Pop Photo_ on older T-mount and M42 lenses. They exist to hype the new equipment.

Better to read publications like _Lenswork_, _View Camera_, _Camera Arts_, _PhotoVision_, _Contact Sheet_, _Black and White_, and _Afterimage_.</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
    no doubt&#33;

I&#39;m moving to Auckland NZ in 3 weeks (currently in small town tauranga), hopefully some of the shops in Auckland will carry "_Lenswork_, _View Camera_, _Camera Arts_, _PhotoVision_, _Contact Sheet_, _Black and White_, and _Afterimage_", etc. If not then I may have to suck it up and get some subscriptions to a few of them. I think Jorge is in the same boat aye Jorge...

Shooter
    Large Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Ross @ Jan 5 2003, 09:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I think Jorge is in the same boat aye Jorge...</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
    Yeah, unfortunatelly that is the way it goes. I can only get phototechniques. Everytime I have money for subcriptions I rather spend it on materials. Ah well.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin