Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,247   Posts: 1,660,238   Online: 1028

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi murray --

don't know if i will have a place in history, but just the same ...
    some of my documentary photographs are in the library of congress as well as libraries
    around boston. i hope someone someday is able to learn from them,
    the way i learned from photographic images i looked at in the 1973 world book encyclopedia
    and guinness book of world records, my favorite books to read over and over again (cover to cover) when i was small.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I, like many others here, make negatives and prints casually, only for myself. Over a longish life, six 8x10 platinum-palladium contact prints and five 35mm silver prints truly satisfy me ... thats it.

So, to save the family a little time and guilt, all my unsatisfactory fluff-stuff (save a billion family snaps) is long-gone to the trash – the eleven images my only crumbs along my tiny photographic trail.

Please excuse me while I go look for another crumb someone might eventually remember me by.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I am "lucky", I will be a boring little footnote in a brief, but equally boring history of the Library of Congress Motion Picture Conservation Center in Dayton, Ohio. Any legacy I might have had with that institution, died when they relocated to Culpeper, Virginia and totally retooled the work flows, heavily biasing it toward d*****l.

As for my personal photographic work, I highly doubt it will survive my passing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post
    What impact do you think your photographs will have in the future?
    Honestly? In the grand scheme of things - zero.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Who here really thinks of themselves as doing this for posterity or history? I do this because I like creating things, but I can't say I've ever been motivated by posterity -- other than capturing shots of my family.
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a photographer, I have done a fair amount of wedding work. As a lawyer, I've done some divorce work. In B.C., when you start a divorce proceeding, you need to formally serve documents on the spouse, and then provide proof of service. Usually, you use a photograph of the spouse as an exhibit to an affidavit of service.

There is nothing so sad as when your client brings one of his or her wedding photos to use for this purpose.

Hmmm - place in history?

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    perhaps few people appreciate my work and majority think I was a mad one because I waste my time with photography.
    So be it !
    I was born and brought up in Iran, a beautiful country full of history.
    k o m b i z z

Shooter
    35mm RF
    My pics go in the attic in the hope that no-one will notice they're there for at least 100 years.

Then in 2150 (my 200th birthday) I'm rediscovered as a genius...

But:

(A) Who gives a damn about posterity? What has posterity ever done for us?

and

(B) Almost any idiot -- especially rich idiot -- whose 'oeuvre' survives (because their family had enough attic space to preserve crap) is praised sooner or later. I've just come back from Arles where Pannonia's Polaroid snaps were praised. She was a Rothschild who subsequently married someone else famous -- a Paris Hilton of her area.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Today my wife showed me some old photos that she had brought back from her visit to her family in Georgia. Some were of herself and her sisters from the '60's and '70's, when they were children and teenagers; and one was of her grandmother and her brothers, dating from the early 20th century. It was actually a copy of an old studio portrait photo that was apparently in pretty bad shape. Still, its magic was palpable.
    And that made me ponder the likelihood that some day, someone would whip out a 100-year old digicam to show off an old image of their grandparents on the lcd.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maybe I'm alone in this, I know I am within my own family, but when I see photos from my grandparents' youth, I spend as much time thinking about the photographer as the subject. The whole thing is fascinating to me. I try to imagine what the time was like leading up to and after the photo was taken. Sadly, even when there is a studio stamp on the back or whatever, these photographers are lost to time in name--but their work is still making an impact. What does that mean? I have no idea. As far as my own work goes, it seems very unlikely that anyone will know or care about it after I'm gone...but that's ok, it's the same now! HA HA.
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin