Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,605   Online: 1094

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington View Post
    The ugly truth is that most of the output of most photographers will be unceremoniously dumped on their deaths - the proportion rises to almost 100% in the case of non-pro enthusiasts. If this bothers you, be sure to talk ahead of your demise to the archivists of any organizations which might be interested in your work and present to them any of it in which they are interested. For myself, it is almost certain that the handful of pictures I took of David Bowie in my youth (example in APUG gallery) will eclipse and outlast anything else I have done or am likely to do - I find this slightly annoying, but I can't do anything about it. I continue to take pictures for a variety of reasons, not really caring what posterity will think, since I shall be dead when posterity makes its view clear!
    My photography is like my singing in the bath, I don't worry too much if anyone else likes it as long as I enjoy it.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    Remembering "Minority Report," I suspect that future tombstones will incorporate a continuous loop hologram presentation of the life of the deceased. Maybe if you pay extra you can get the "enhanced" edited version which cleans up some of the less memorable parts and even creates a new version of your life.
    Have you seen the movie The Final Cut? Very intriguing story.

On another note, the father of a friend was a keen amateur photographer who took some excellent photographs of his mother. More interesting are the ones he took in London during the second World War. One sticks out in my mind of some wreckage he photographed from atop an adjacent building. My friend has promised to one day let me have a look through his collection. I am hoping there are some negatives in there that he would let me print for him.

- Justin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is an interesting article on the website below on "Your photographic legacy". The comments by Charles Dunton and his website are particularly relevant. Scroll down to the umbrellas.

http://theonlinephotographer.com/the...log_index.html
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Like many others, I do this because I just simply love it. It would be pretty coo I'm sure, but I hold no expectation that my photographs will mean anything to anyone.

My daughter loves the weather, clouds, storms, and the like and wants to be a meteorologist. Since I have acquired a LF system, I hope to produce some cool cloud/weather photography for her to proudly display in her home someday. That form of accomplishment with my photography would be good enough for me.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    When I look at old photos, some very old, I become aware of my interest in the captured moment and its value, at least too me, the viewer. I now see others looking at my old photos with that same, or similar, interest and it makes me happy to think that some of my personal work will be viewed with interest by others when I'm gone. It was never my reason for photographing, I do it because I enjoy doing it. My hobby!

Some of my photos have been published in books but they mean little to me personally as I was hired to produce them. That doesn't diminish there value in general though (signature quote).

My personal photography is now only monotone fiber prints because I see the value in that type over all others and I would imagine that many will be around long after I'm gone, at least in the family, for future generations. I think that's a good thought to have in mind!

Regards,
    Paul
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

If you are Yousef Karsh, your place in history includes a hotel room

An interesting story on the CBC website:

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2007/07...rsh-suite.html

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    "If you are Yousef Karsh, your place in history includes a hotel room"

And a spot on my coffee table in Tucson!

I have long considered Karsh to be the ultimate portraitist and was thrilled to find his book: "American Portraits" for sale in great condition in a used book shop for the princely sum of $5!

Leontyne Price graces the cover and the portraits include one of Winston Churchill since, after all, his mother was an American!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin