Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,854   Posts: 1,582,912   Online: 989

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Leave your camera(s) at home and go for a walk. Don't even think about taking pictures. Keep doing this until suddenly you find yourself wishing you had your camera with you because you found the perfect shot.

As an alternate, try to explore the nature of marshmellows, or snails. Somthing that is so unserious that it forces you to just have fun.

Both of the above work for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (brYan @ Jan 9 2003, 07:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>For the last couple of months I have been uninspired to photograph anything.&nbsp; Once in a while unusual subjects will pop up or unusual lighting may appear, but nothing that really inspires me to get the camera out of the bag&#33;&nbsp; If only I could focus on a subject or theme, I might be able to photograph something worthwhile.&nbsp; Anybody else been in this state of mind?&nbsp; How do you get past it?</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Have I ever been blocked?

Nah ... not me. At least not more than 60 or 70 times a day.

The only way that seems to work for me to counteract "blocking" is to put myself into a position where I can&#39;t get out of it. Schedule a model .... you know you HAVE to do photography when s/he arrives. I will force myself to load film into the magazines - I have never liked the idea of a loaded magazine lying around idle.

I think there is some measure of fear involved in the most "blockage". Fear of failure; fear of success (the "No Worlds Left To Conquer" syndrome; fear that there will be too much work to do in the future (WHEN will I get caught up with my darkroom work?).

Come to think of it .... from Julia Cameron&#39;s "The Artisit&#39;s Way":

"Do not be afraid that the work will not be GOOD - the real fear is that it will not BE."

Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    bump......any new solutions to this problem?
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you have clients, they will tell you. If you do not, then the right thing is to follow your heart. To find a subject and to photograph it with feeling is like being in love -- with a thing, a person, or an idea (this love can also be shown tragically, through its absence).

Art, if it is anything above a technical exercise (which is also useful as a regimen), if a reflection of life. If you are honest with yourself about the things that are meaningful to you, you will find a way to chip away at them and explore them with the camera.

If the water still seems murky, it's time to just work on your chops -- you capacity to make meaningful pictures. Go outside and shoot passing cars and birds. Be rapid until your hands move without conscious planning. Perfect your usage of the meter, so that you do not need to use it. Find out how quickly you can be out the door to shoot. Do it at 6AM, at your front step. See where you go from there.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm struggling with this a bit myself at the moment.

My (not very original) plan is to set myself a project or two and then stick a deadline on them to make them actually happen (I'm thinking of Waterfalls for one).

Best I can come up with...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [quote="FrankB"]I'm struggling with this a bit myself at the moment./quote]

I'm following in your footsteps, except I'm in a city. I remembered something Les McLean wrote earlier. To paraphrase: Load a roll of film, walk 25 paces and shoot what is there. Move another 25 and shoot again. Keep this up till you have shot the whole roll. Process and print as usual. Look at what you've got, consider how it might be "better". This brings about a discipline that a shot must be found at 25 paces, regardless of what's there.

Now, we have a dog that I walk a few times a day and one thing I've noticed here in Brooklyn is that the our manhole covers come from India, China and NY State. They are labeled "Made In China". Some are distinct in appearance and many others conform to a standard pattern. So my mini-project is going to be photographing as many different manhole covers as I can find.... probably be able to keep it to one roll of film.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Mark, I tried that aproach of walking around with out a camera and have kicked myself everytime. Four times in a row ran smack into Julia Stiles and no camera, Probably lucky for her I didn't have one, but come to think about it I had a hard time even saying hi when our eyes met.
    I shoot everything LF but when confronted with a block of any kind grab the 35 and burn rolls then look at the contacts and find out what I'm framing. You frame things ssubconciouslyor maybe your head just gets out of the way!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PBrooks
    ... Four times in a row ran smack into Julia Stiles ...
    My immediate response was to grab MY camera and head for my car. Julia Stiles --- I've been trying to figure out why she is so attractive and appealing.
    What is that -- essence-- that makes her so...?

Anyway, as I sat behind the wheel ... anticipating a situation where Julia might be accessible for chance encounters .... I realized that I had no idea where you might be. In your profile, your location is given as "Parson, MFA". Where the heck is Parson, MFA?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Ed, I'm in Manhatten and live in the upper west side, she attends Columbia although I have seen her couple of times around 72nd and then farther north and then once on 13th. Oh, and it's Parsons School of Design, MFA program located on 13th and 5th Ave. I joined and read this forum to keep my sanity. It was getting to the point of fighting an uphill battle doing LF and developing in pyro by dip-n-dunk, and printing on WT fiber paper. Now its getting easier as I am now processing in a daylight tank and have many people stopping by to inquire just what pyro is or why they can't produce such depth digitally. I am originally from Rural Louisiana

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Ed, sorry but I think it is her eye's!!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin