Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,118   Online: 814

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    the lady i worked for shot 5x7 retouched film with leads
    and her work looked like karsh did it ...
    she shot governors, ceos, big-shots
    maybe back then, it was different ?

she shot her assignments, mailed them from maine
    to nyc, and then in the middle of the great depression,
    she travelled to nyc to take her practicals/exams and
    take her retouching classes ...

( i have the coursebooks from the 40s and 50s that i picked up at a junk store
    for cheep. i use them as a reference all the time.)

20 years ago i took classes with students that
    didn't know the relationship between fstop, shutter speed and asa,
    they could barely figure out how to use their in-camera lightmeter ...

correspondance, internet, tv, live school .. you get out of it what you put into it.
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    correspondance, internet, tv, live school .. you get out of it what you put into it.
    Exactly right.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post

Or how much you pay?

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/18/ny...fs-TOURO.html?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    i am not really sure what your article has to do with the nyip ...
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks guys a lot for your time.
    What I am actually interested is to get some “certificate” (paper) I can hang in my studio for customer to see it. It should serve just as a commercial ad, rather than my diploma from Academy, which God alone knows where is it (and even was not English). I have no intention to pay 40-50K for some uga-buga school to get nothing out of it.
    So the best is some quick certificate with nice name that can impress, low cost, and if can learn something on the way even better.

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I found a completed set of the NYIP course from 1955! It was in modular form and the completed sets and exams were neatly filed in an 8 inch thick canvas notebook bearing the school's name. The student was a man living in Tulsa, Ok. He made his payments monthly and all receipts were in good order. He scored well on all of his tests and I only wish I could see some of his work. I would imagine that NYIP would be very helpful for people living in far-flung places without local access to instruction as well as those seeking a structured learning situation without the the high tuition of formal schools.

I know that NYIP had a retouching course that I was interested in but when I called to inquire (a few years back) I was told that it was no longer available. I found it interesting that NYIP WILL school a student through the program while he/she develops his own film and prints in either b/w or color. I imagine that could be interesting!

I read in couple of articles over the years that several top name photographers have been through NYIP's course. As has been said already- you'll get out of it what you put into it.

I used to tell prospective photographers all they really need to take is Photo 101 and 102 concurrently (with 102 being film processing and printing) at any Jr. college and they would be good to go. Not sure how many JCs still have darkrooms today though.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Images
    I took the NYIP course for about the same reason you are thinking about it. To have a piece of paper that might make marketing myself as a photographer easier. The course itself is nothing more than what you can learn out of one good book on photography. The book might cost you $24, NYIP $500 or more. Personally, I think it is a waste of money. If you want to impress a potential client, have a good portfolio.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This doesn't have to do with NYIP but someone mentioned the Brooks Institute out in Santa Barbara, CA. I contacted them last month because I was interested in their program and as of May 2007 they are now all digital. If you have a background in LF you can jump into their Master's program for the next year or two until they phase out all the film students.
    ~Jodi~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Ahem...does the phrase "Correspondence School" come to mind?

"If you can draw this picture, you too can become an Artist."

"Learn to be an Auto Mechanic. Make big $$$."

Anyone got a match?

Sorry! Go Fish.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Brooks in Santa Barbara does not have nearly the reputation they had decades ago. I know several recent graduates from there. All of them wished they had gone to other schools. Brooks had even lost their accreditation for a while, and went through a few lawsuits from former students. Honestly, it seems they are banking more on their past name than offering anything beyond other similarly priced schools. This does not even go into the fact that there are no photography jobs in Santa Barbara, and it is not close enough to Los Angeles to provide good networking opportunities.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin