Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,350   Online: 1037

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I used to live about 80 miles from Brooks between 15 and 20 years ago, and went there more than once to see what it was like: it was surprisingly easy to wander in and out, and I often had time to kill in Sta. Barbara while waiting to have my E6 processed. They did not look very impressive then, and a young friend who attended the school left to go elsewhere.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_OB View Post
    Thanks guys a lot for your time.
    What I am actually interested is to get some “certificate” (paper) I can hang in my studio for customer to see it. It should serve just as a commercial ad, rather than my diploma from Academy, which God alone knows where is it (and even was not English). I have no intention to pay 40-50K for some uga-buga school to get nothing out of it.
    So the best is some quick certificate with nice name that can impress, low cost, and if can learn something on the way even better.

www.Leica-R.com
    Unbelievable!!! If all you want is a fancy certificate why not print one out on your printer. How about a Phd in Photography from the U. of Agfa? :rolleyes:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene_Laughter View Post
    Unbelievable!!! If all you want is a fancy certificate why not print one out on your printer. How about a Phd in Photography from the U. of Agfa? :rolleyes:

A man who ran a very successful string instrument rental, repair, and retail enterprise more or less did just that. He actually published a book about some aspect of that business (he gave me a copy, but I never read it) and credited himself as a "Doctor of Instrument Science" or some such invention. It made him feel important, I guess, but, considering the sophistication of his clientele, I've often wondered if he were laughed at for such transparent fictional puffery.

OTOH...if you don't overdo it, making up your own diploma sounds like a fine idea. It's not like your offering a credential to an employer. You're just putting a label on the sum of your years of experience for customers to appreciate. You could even get something in Latin to the effect that "This is complete nonesense, but it looks good". Maybe Jack Straw (Michael Newman) could help. He has a copious signature in Latin here. I, on the other hand, did less well in Latin than Og, the Visigoth.
    Last edited by jovo; 07-22-2007 at 04:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The two best credentials I've ever seen are, "PhD (thesis pending)", and "MA (failed)". These were both following signatures of course, not diplomas on a wall.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    The two best credentials I've ever seen are, "PhD (thesis pending)", and "MA (failed)". These were both following signatures of course, not diplomas on a wall.
    Good ones! How about a certificate: "The Queen's Society for the Photographic Arts HALL of FAME"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    "MA (failed)" is pretty odd.

"PhD (thesis pending)" isn't so unusual in some form or another. Usually it's written "PhD (ABD)" for "all but dissertation," meaning they've finished all their courses and exams except for the dissertation defense. Alternately, some universities grant another degree at that stage, like an M.Phil. to avoid the seeming awkwardness of saying that you didn't finish your degree, but essentially it means the same thing.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    years ago there was a guy who was appointed/hired to be in charge of
    the water supply near to where i was living ... after there was the first of many n-b-o's
    (nasty bacteria outbreaks) and everyone had to do the bottled water-thing a little research was
    done to the gentleman's credentials ... turns out he created his own degrees --
    i think he is still scrubbing out the standpipe with a toothbrush ...

i always liked getting a degree from the school of mines, and getting a golden shovel
    stamped on my class ring ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gene
    Unbelievable!!! If all you want is a fancy certificate why not print one out on your printer. How about a Phd in Photography from the U. of Agfa?

It is good as idea, but I would not like to do something like that. I contacted my Academy for a copy of original and might be a translation, but simple forget it.
    ---------------
    The whole point is that even the best portfolio ever made, no matter from who, will get hard time to draw fashionable people to pay hundreds of dollars for portrait photographs. I already have some customers that will pay, but majority will be completely satisfied with wall-mart. What I think that "people" will pay is something they can impress with a friend but not themself owning a nice phjotograph. They even do not know what they have on wall.

here is just one (the most recent) dificult to beleive example:
    I guy got wedding. I offered him resonable price for B&W photographs. He got digital guy for "low" price.

Around a month after wedding, he came to me with a question. "Daniel I have a picture from my wedding but it is only ink which I do not like. I would like that you reproduce it and make me a real and nice photograph that will last..."
    I made him reproduction 16x20 and he paid $266 (framed) and was very happy. For whole wedding I offered him 15 photographs (it is he asked for) for $700 but it was expensive to him. So this is philosophy I have to fight.

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A degree is pretty meaningless in photography or art unless you plan to teach.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_OB View Post
    ---------------
    The whole point is that even the best portfolio ever made, no matter from who, will get hard time to draw fashionable people to pay hundreds of dollars for portrait photographs.
    Dear Daniel,

Reputations are not built on diplomas. Most of the highest paid photographers have no diplomas. Just good work; which brings in more people; which establishes a reputation.

What do you think will happen if you have a piece of paper on your wall? Why should anyone care? And when is this piece of paper going to make the slightest difference to whether a 'fashionable person' decides to hire you or not? Are they going to come to your studio to read it?

Play up your overseas diploma, if you like. The exotic will usually attract more 'fashionable people' than the familiar.

Cheers,

Roger

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin