Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,814   Online: 725

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

New York Institute of Photography

New York Institute of Photography has a program for professional photographers. It stretches from 8 mo up to 3 years (up to student).

Comparing to other top level schools in US, what is reputation and teachers knowledge in that school.
    I am not very familiar with education system in US. They claim it is faculty. Is it? To me faculty is a part of university (e.g. medical faculty, faculty of technology,...).

Thanks

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The only thing I know about them, is taking a correspondance course from them 20+ years ago. They have been around for decades.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    daniel

i worked for a lady who took correspondance classes from them
    in the 1920s/1930s .. i would imagine they are as good now as they
    were then ( if that makes sense ... )
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    They've been around "forever" and are very good.....at making money!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    In the US "faculty" doesn't imply university affiliation--just that it's an educational institution and the "faculty" is comprised of the people who teach in it.

They do seem to have been around forever, but I've always been a little skeptical about it. If you look at the photographs on their website, for instance, they don't seem that impressive.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    About 10-12 years ago I was interested in NYIP. They provided me with a number of professional photographers for references (sorry I don't remember who any of them were). I emailed 2 of them and got the same response from both which was basically "Not a bad school, but you could do just as well by photographing a lot and learning on your own" which is essentially what I did.

I wish APUG was around back then. With all of the information available here I would have saved myself lots of money and time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In the early 1980's I taught at a school called Germain school of photography, I think they were bought out by NYIP. If the program is similar I would think that if you were fairly novice you might learn some things there, at least the basics. If you're looking for a more thorough photographic education in the NYC area you might want to look into School of Visual Arts (where I attended in the 70's and also taught in the 80's) or north and west of NYC apply to RIT. Both SVA and RIT have bachelor's programs. International Center of Photography also has some educational programs and some first rate instructors.

There are some excellent photography schools on the west coast, Brooks and Art Center. I think you may also need to see what area of photography most interests you and then see which school might have an advantage in that area. Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have to wonder about the effectiveness of their program. Earlier this year one of the stylists I was working with on a few shoots mentioned taking courses at NYIP for about half a year. She really seemed to have no clue how aperture affected DOF, nor the relationship of aperture and shutter for controlling exposure. I think those are extremely basic; something that most beginning photography courses in college cover in the first few classes, and then reinforce those lessons.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ahem...does the phrase "Correspondence School" come to mind?

"If you can draw this picture, you too can become an Artist."

"Learn to be an Auto Mechanic. Make big $$$."

Anyone got a match?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin