Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,327   Posts: 1,536,962   Online: 1202

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What does the "Focal Encyclopedia of Photography" (best the last edition for this issue) say on this?
    I have not got it at hand at the moment, thus I ask.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think I'm with John Voss (fifth post), plus one more:

*shoot: I try not to use that word (it's just me)...
    *photograph and photo: it's what I make...
    *image: I avoid the word--a tad too elite for me...
    *capture: never use it, and it surely does sound like pixel-speak...

And ps: I appreciate Suzzane Revy's insight (fourth post) to magazine covers as advertisement rather than editorial content.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In terms of journalism, I see no need to differentiate in the use of terms to describe analog or digital photography whether the work is purely documentary or simply editorial. The necessary distinction, would seem to me to be, as always, between photography and illustration. Regardless of the toolset employed, dodging, burning, spotting, color balance, contrast control, etc. can be undertaken legitimately without redefining the product as something other than a photograph. But once the content has been materially altered, it is a photo-illustration. Whether or not removing Faith Hill's zits crosses that boundary is certainly a point of debate.

As for the term image...yes, all photographs are images... and not all images are photographs. So for photographs, the terms can be used interchangably though caution is advised. They each inherit different baggage and provide their own subtle implications.

Using "photograph" initially to establish the medium of the images and thereafter referring to either photographs or images makes sense to me.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    "Capture" isn't a word that I use in connection with digital or film photography.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But it sounds so much more humane than "shoot."
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    How about we compromise and say "tranquilize"?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Image is the genus to which "photograph" belongs. An image can exist in reality or just in the mind. Such as a concept or a set of traits attributed to a certain thing. A photograph exists in reality, is two dimensional, is fixed, and is created with light. A photograph is always an image, but only occasionally is an image a photograph.

This is similar in my mind to a discussion about whether a "Lay-z-boy" is a chair or a recliner. Its both.

As far as that editor is concerned unless they are retouching and converting every single pixel by hand then it is a photograph. Perhaps he should have said "they are not photographs but pictures created through mixed media. Primarily photography and digital illustration" Of course that would have probably drawn some blank stares from the audience.

As clear as mud.

Yours;

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Maybe I need to get a TV. Who or where is Faith Hill?

I agree that "photograph" is a subset of "images". For me, "images" comes from "imagine" or "imagination" -- it is all in the head. Photographs do not really have a physical existence, then one presents them in some physical form, such as a print, a collections of dots on a computer screen, ink on a page, a developed transperency or negative , etc. I prefer to refer to the content of a photographic print as the photograph (or image), but if one damages the physical object, one damages the print.

For example, one might say, "That is a great photograph of Uncle John. Too bad it is so badly printed."

However, the common use of "photograph" to mean a "print" (or any of the above), means that such distinctions are just about worthless in everday conversations.

The "latent image" seems to be good term for a photograph chemically locked into a piece of film before processing.

Magazine covers are designed to sell the magazine...I don't think the cover of the New Yorker has ever related to the content inside.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am about to go into my darkroom to transform a previously tamed negative into a tranquilized photographic picture. See y'all later.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jstraw View Post
    In terms of journalism, I see no need to differentiate in the use of terms to describe analog or digital photography whether the work is purely documentary or simply editorial. The necessary distinction, would seem to me to be, as always, between photography and illustration. Regardless of the toolset employed, dodging, burning, spotting, color balance, contrast control, etc. can be undertaken legitimately without redefining the product as something other than a photograph. But once the content has been materially altered, it is a photo-illustration. Whether or not removing Faith Hill's zits crosses that boundary is certainly a point of debate.

As for the term image...yes, all photographs are images... and not all images are photographs. So for photographs, the terms can be used interchangably though caution is advised. They each inherit different baggage and provide their own subtle implications.

Using "photograph" initially to establish the medium of the images and thereafter referring to either photographs or images makes sense to me.
    Well said... and perhaps when the editor used the term image, he, in fact, meant illustration. Especially since they feel so free to alter the world and the people in it to suit their and their advertisers rather skewed view. If Faith Hill needs to be turned into a photo illustration to convey beauty and sell stuff, then I'm afraid there's very little hope for the rest of us shlubs.

Except of course, I can spend my money on cameras, and not the stuff they sell in those rags.
    Last edited by SuzanneR; 07-23-2007 at 12:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin