Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,736   Online: 992

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    mhv
    Why, just the other day, I couldn't believe that my brother's hair looked pink after I took a digital picture of him. It SO stopped being a photo, like it was totally innacurate.

It is nothing wrong to change an image digitally. It is the purpose of it. People doing drawings can do the same. What is wrong in all of that sh** is that digital images are mistaken for photographs. And when we do not get what we expect from a photograph we accuse the whole mediim of digital imaging. And it is again and again. Accept it as a different medium and all will be fine. But the problem comes from equipment manufacturers, schools,... who do not want to spend billions of $ to develop new market for digital imaging, but rather use existing market.
    www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    "I've got 369 photographs on the computer from the family reunion last weekend."

No you don't, I politely refrain from saying to my friend ... my persecuted, analog mind thoroughly convinced her endlessly-unedited digitlal images on her camera and computer screen are anything but photo-graphs.

But I'm afraid they are:
    My negative 'graphing' occurs thru a lens and onto a film surface.
    Her digital 'graphing occurs thru a lens and onto a chip surface (or whatever, I don't know much about lectronics).

No difference really, as much as I detest amitting it.

Seems the word 'photography' is doomed to be just like, for instance, the word 'sail', or 'sailing', where huge oil tankers 'sail' out of ports every day under engine-power, their port-to-port 'sailing' taking three days, or whatever.

I'll bet the real sailors of the real sailing ships of the sailing days were really pissed seeing their perfectly good 'word' permanently basterdized, as we kind of are today about 'our' word.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    bruce terry
    what is difference between enginner designer and experienced machanic that designs something similar. Can both be call designer. Yes. They both designinig. To make the difference you have to go deep into the matter. Thosands and thousands of questions can be set for both of them, and what is above is not enough to make difference.
    The same think is in photography. The reason you mentioned, is one among thousands that are in the same game, and technical and aesthetical. You cannot judge about whole medium on base on your one assumption.
    Here is just one question more I never saw anywhere about that two mediums but it is a must to consider before you make statement. WHAT IS A TECHICAL INPUT INTO BOTH OF THAT TWO MEDIUMS. And about that we can talk for hours and involve so many thinks.

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    A picture is taken with the Mind thinking about the subject. A Photograph is made with the Mind thinking about how the resulting image will be interpeted by the viewer. Be it d****** or analog makes no difference.

Doyle
    It is easier to gain enlightenment than to explain enlightenment.
    Supreme Master Ching Hai

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Both are affected, self-conscious terms that inevitably seem to lead to pretense.

Certainly not worth a lot of hand-wringing unless you have the incredibly mistaken notion that photos by themselves are somehow "factual " -- in which case noo amount of talk will get you to change that religion.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It appears to me the interviewee did not want to be vague. But if that is all that he/she said, vaguer may they be. Although, I've learned around here, you can call something just about anything you like. As long as you're comfortable using it in a specific manner. It seems to me a word's past usage sets the precedent regardless of the definition. If I say "I altered a photograph", I must be fully aware the phrase is vague. The "source" of the image obviously is not known. If I wanted it known that the image being altered/manipulated was a digital file, I would need to be more specific. I don't believe today's crowd is very discriminating in these matters. Nobody here will fault you for improper word usage (though I have been drawn and quartered for not doing so. grin.) Call it what you want. Be adventurous.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    Both are affected, self-conscious terms that inevitably seem to lead to pretense.

Certainly not worth a lot of hand-wringing unless you have the incredibly mistaken notion that photos by themselves are somehow "factual " -- in which case noo amount of talk will get you to change that religion.

I dunno. I think "Is what you pointed your lens at the truth?" and "Is what's depicted, what you pointed your lens at?" are two very different and distinctly relevent questions.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The world around us is full of images from which photographs are made. I've seen texts on photography that refer to the "image" as that which is simply seen in the viewfinder or on the groundglass. This is just one example, but AA's "The Camera"----one chapter is devoted to "Basic Image Management".

Why must a simple concept be so perverted just because one camera photographs digitally and one photographs with film? It just seems like a non-issue.

Chuck

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck1 View Post
    The world around us is full of images from which photographs are made. I've seen texts on photography that refer to the "image" as that which is simply seen in the viewfinder or on the groundglass. This is just one example, but AA's "The Camera"----one chapter is devoted to "Basic Image Management".

Why must a simple concept be so perverted just because one camera photographs digitally and one photographs with film? It just seems like a non-issue.

Chuck
    Good point.

I don't know what the weather is like for you today is western KY - here in NYC it's been raining all day. It's so dark and dreary you might think it was April, not July.

So reading and replying to a good old semantic "non-issue" thread like this is just the thing to drag one further down the road to despair and desperation.

Jeez, I hope it's sunny tomorrow!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Good point.

I don't know what the weather is like for you today is western KY - here in NYC it's been raining all day. It's so dark and dreary you might think it was April, not July.

So reading and replying to a good old semantic "non-issue" thread like this is just the thing to drag one further down the road to despair and desperation.

Jeez, I hope it's sunny tomorrow!
    It is sunny, blue skies, no clouds, just like yesterday ... really boring.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin