Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,894   Online: 1027

View Poll Results: Gender and self portraiture?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm male and like being in front of the camera

25 20.16%
  • I'm male and don't like being in front of the camera

79 63.71%
  • I'm female and like being in front of the camera

4 3.23%
  • I'm female and don't like being in front of the camera

16 12.90%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i have taken more portraits of others than of me, but just the same,
    i don't mind making self portraits, or someone asking me to sit or stand or ...
    don't know, there is something about making your own or having a portriat made
    ... its nice

... BUT having said that, i can't stand snapshots.

john

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Reading the OP, one thought immediately, came to mind.

It's from the musical "Rent" (a.k.a. the ripped-off, Rock version of La Boehme) where one of the characters (female) admonishes the main character (male) as solely an "observer"; "narrator"; just the guy always "behind the videocam" so that he hides behind the lens. In a "lament" to which he does agree that it gives him a detachment from participation.

Somehow, the show wouldn't have "worked" if that gender role was opposite.

It really does seem as if the icon is always a "guy" behind the camera. Even as we celebrate many women photogs - one of the Disney logos shows Mickey (not Minnie) behind the giant camera!

EDIT: I didn't vote in the poll. I hate these kinds of polls. It reminds me of RFF!
    Last edited by copake_ham; 07-23-2007 at 07:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    I actually only like being in front of a camera that I am also operating. Self portraits are OK. Snapshots of me bother the hell out of me. Irrational, but hey...
    Ya, but I got a good portrait of Bill's and your feet!! :rolleyes:

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    I'm not at all ashamed of how I look by any means, and I do think for my age I'm fairly well preserved, but I just feel more comfortable behind the camera than in front of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I enjoy being photographed and photographing myself (not that I've done it that much). I think it helps to feel and act positive about it if you are going to ask others to do the same for you.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My friend (male) does lots of great self portraits. I do a few and am trying for an analog self portrait once a week as part of the 52weeks project on flickr (which is like 365days but for lazy/busy people). I just don't like them enough to post them to the gallery here. And "self portrait" is stretched so it can include just a hand/finger/toe/occasional shadow so you can be slightly coy and shy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I LOATHE being in front of the camera. Part of it is indeed a body image issue. I'm not the svelte thing I once was, and so I don't feel comfortable being photographed because I don't like how I look in pictures. I especially don't want to pose nude for the camera, but there are a very few people who could convince me to do so, because of my comfort level with them. I have to be very comfortable with someone to let them point a camera at me, clothed or otherwise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I LOATHE being in front of the camera. Part of it is indeed a body image issue. I'm not the svelte thing I once was, and so I don't feel comfortable being photographed because I don't like how I look in pictures. I especially don't want to pose nude for the camera, but there are a very few people who could convince me to do so, because of my comfort level with them. I have to be very comfortable with someone to let them point a camera at me, clothed or otherwise.
    Your response brings up an unrelated, interesting point: how often the "nude" question comes up when approaching people to photograph. I hate asking people to pose for me and I'm sure have only done so less than a dozen times, but on three occasions I've had people's eyes go wide as they assumed I meant nude, and (even stranger) twice had them bring up the topic themselves, wanting to pose that way.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The poll statistics are useless as given by the computer; the way it actually comes out at this point (57 responses) is

males: 30% (14/47) are okay with being photographed; 70% (33/47) are not.
    females: 30% (3/10) are okay with being photographed; 70% (7/10) are not

(however, it should be noted that there are so few responses for females that results should be interpreted cautiously, even beyond the normal caution for interpreting any voluntary poll like this). At any rate, the gender difference apparently expected by the original poster doesn't seem to be showing up.

By the way, what's the deal with having the last response option (female who doesn't like being photographed) in italics when the other response options are in normal font style. Perhaps this was inadvertent.
    Katharine

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Katherine- that's just showing you how YOU voted. My vote of "male who doesn't like being photographed" is in italics for me.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin