Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,642   Online: 965

View Poll Results: Gender and self portraiture?

Voters
124. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm male and like being in front of the camera

25 20.16%
  • I'm male and don't like being in front of the camera

79 63.71%
  • I'm female and like being in front of the camera

4 3.23%
  • I'm female and don't like being in front of the camera

16 12.90%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Katherine,

Small sample size is only one of the poll's problems. The bias within the very question might create a prickly reaction in some people that affects their vote. I only included the poll because they're fun once in a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My arms are not long enough for self portraits.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Katherine- that's just showing you how YOU voted. My vote of "male who doesn't like being photographed" is in italics for me.
    Aahhh, thanks! It's like an instant exit poll. Interesting.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poco View Post
    Katherine,

Small sample size is only one of the poll's problems. The bias within the very question might create a prickly reaction in some people that affects their vote. I only included the poll because they're fun once in a while.
    Tell me; why did you bother taking a poll at all, if you were so certain of your theory that if the poll didn't come out the way you expected, you would explain it away by saying that the results were skewed because people reacted defensively to the question? I assure you, my answer was a true and honest answer, and would have been the same even if the question hadn't been posed so provocatively and with such an obvious bias. I really hate having my picture taken, but I also have made a few self-portraits. It's a factual answer, but perhaps not as cut and dried as you would like.

People tend to behave in a less gender-stereotyped way (or less stereotyped on the basis of any arbitrary categorization) than those who see people as stereotypes would like to believe. We're all a lot more the same, than we are different. My 2cents.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Katharine Thayer View Post

People tend to behave in a less gender-stereotyped way (or less stereotyped on the basis of any arbitrary categorization) than those who see people as stereotypes would like to believe. We're all a lot more the same, than we are different. My 2cents.
    This is probably correct, at least in terms of the subject matter here.

What's even stranger is by having the poll here on APUG - the potential "population" to be polled is comprised almost exclusively of photographers (and film ones, at that) - who, by definition, tend to find themselves behind the lens a lot more often than in front!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Katharine Thayer View Post
    Tell me; why did you bother taking a poll at all, if you were so certain of your theory that if the poll didn't come out the way you expected, you would explain it away by saying that the results were skewed because people reacted defensively to the question?
    Just to get caught out by you, Katherine. To give you the thrill of being able to spot a person's motives and methods of operation by way of three whole posts. For your fun in having your worst assumptions, so quickly made, be confirmed for you. And simply for your joy of calling me a liar when I said I polled for of the fun of it.

It was all for you, Katherine. Because I'm a giving guy.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm not a good model, but for testing lighting, film, and processing, I'm cheap and always available. The avatar is a self portrait, testing solarized negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm male and I've never been great at having other people take my picture: it's not that I dislike it per se, more that I always seem unable to pose well. However, I do end up doing self-portraits sometimes because they are a good way to 'say something'. My personal favourite is a slightly unconventional one:

http://picturethis.channel4.com/rate...680&height=710

Yes, obviously the shadow is me, but it's a self-portrait in more ways than that. I used to be an archaeologist and the sign says "Museum"; the table and chair could relate to my love of food; the brick pattern of the floor is very similar to that of the courtyards in my old college; the bicycle represents another part of my life; the piano (you can see the grand piano, right? ) reflects the big part that music plays in my life; and of course, it is a photograph of a photographer taking a photograph. Finally, it is also very typical of my photographic style, which is surely a fundamental part of what makes me 'me'.

Portraits are supposed to reveal more about a person than just what they look like, which is why I always feel rather satisfied by this one: people who know me recognise me in it immediately.

A photographer not mentioned in this thread yet whose self-portraits I like very much is Sam Taylor Wood. I recommend anyone who doesn't know her work having a look.

Peter

PS that picture is online because it's in a competition being run by Channel 4 - you can find the galleries at http://picturethis.channel4.com/galleries.php (all votes gratefully recieved!) There's some pictures worth seeing there: some good, some less so, and some unbelievably pretentious...

P.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to HATE being in front of a camera a lot more than I do now. Don't get me wrong, I still hate it, but not quite with the passion of a thousand firey suns. Now it's only about 500 firey suns .

Seriously though, being in film school is the thing that made me not hate it quite so much. In my school all film students have to put themselves on the business end of the camera, give up the control of the camera, and be directed on film. This is to help you further down the line to be able to understand actors better. I'm glad I did it, although I just don't like seeing myself in front of a camera. Moving or still. It makes me uncomfortable.

Self-portraits are different - I don't mind them so much and have been toying with the idea of doing more. But it's not so bad because I am the one in control. Not somebody else, and not to get all pop-psychology on you, but I think it's the lack of control that makes me uncomfortable (which surfaces in other areas of my life to tell you the truth - I am most comfortable when in control of my situation).

If you notice my profile picture it is a picture infact NOT taken by me, but I placed the rolleiflex in front of my camera to make up for it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I don't enjoy having my photo taken by someone else, but I do self portraits quite often for various reasons, although I have no intent of sharing 99% of them with anyone.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin