Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,235   Online: 853

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That happens at our local recycling centre too, but once it is sorted it is shipped out. It is not processed on site.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Film Guy
    The waste is huge and unacceptable. It is already at critical point, and not just from digital-plastic devices but cars also.
    I would not blame Nikon or Canon for it. It is consumers, computers, internet, and car industry to blame for. Why? They and its industries made low and middle clase to rise, to get into consumers level. They get just any junk and is enough for them to see it on internet or TV as possible fashion. The only way to stop it is to stop fashion (of low and middle class) as way of thinking and living. Look just what is happening in China: dissaster. Put 'em (consumers) where they belong and we will have our rivers where they were 200 years ago.
    And it is good part on photographers to get that work done. How? Self asignments ONLY. To educate consumers (they are easy mind changing) throuht photographs (not digital images for no one beleive in 'em, me too) what is truth behind all that junks. One after another and we are on the best way to direct their behaviour...

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lee L
    good part of consumers have no idea what is Mercury. They are not very smart guys. The second part usually are too lazy and buzy with TV to think in which box to drop "it"....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lee L
    good part of consumers have no idea what is Mercury. They are not very smart guys. The second part usually are too lazy and buzy with TV to think in which box to drop "it"....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We have ewaste drop offs in Los Angeles. These drop offs are manned by knowledgeable personnel from UCLA who do the first sort for recycling.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stever View Post
    We have ewaste drop offs in Los Angeles. These drop offs are manned by knowledgeable personnel from UCLA who do the first sort for recycling.

Steve
    While separate collection and sorting for the purpose of recycling is the critical first step - it is not itself "recycling".

I think Andy's point is that the sorted goods are usually sent overseas (e.g. China) where they are broken down. This is where the real environmental damage is done.

In a sense, you would be doing the planet less harm by just storing your obsolete electronics in the attic - thereby keeping it out of the waste stream altogether.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    George,

You really need to turn off the "lawyer mode" sometimes when you are in APUG. The ewaste is sorted [presorted] at the ewaste station to facilitate the shipping to the proper recycling plants. I still think that what I wrote was clear enough for even the most casual observer to understand the underlying principle and process that the sorted waste would be recycled.

Really, did you think that the ewaste would be sorted and left to sit there forever???

I suggest that you push back from your desk, grab one of your cameras, take a long walk, get some fresh air and shoot some film. It will do you good and prolong your life.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stever View Post
    George,

You really need to turn off the "lawyer mode" sometimes when you are in APUG. The ewaste is sorted [presorted] at the ewaste station to facilitate the shipping to the proper recycling plants. I still think that what I wrote was clear enough for even the most casual observer to understand the underlying principle and process that the sorted waste would be recycled.

Really, did you think that the ewaste would be sorted and left to sit there forever???

I suggest that you push back from your desk, grab one of your cameras, take a long walk, get some fresh air and shoot some film. It will do you good and prolong your life.

Steve
    But where are those 'proper recycling plants'? In my vicinity there are a dozen drop off and sort depots. I am not aware of a single recycling plant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    But where are those 'proper recycling plants'? In my vicinity there are a dozen drop off and sort depots. I am not aware of a single recycling plant.
    Good point. While I have not taken the time to check it out, the ewaste is sent to state approved recycling plants. One hopes that Govenator Arnold Schwartie is doing the right things. He has been pushing for tougher environmental regulation of CO2.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here we are in the midst of getting rid of tungsten light bulbs and introducing the spiral lamps which use mercury. We talk about the reduction in mercury in the atmostphere from power plants offsetting the mercury in the lamps.

The problem is that dropping a spiral bulb in the home releases a concentrated form of a mercury salt. And that is similar to the problem with digital. Digital this and that contains mercury, arsenic, selenium and a host of other things that are concentrated in the device. These cannot be eliminated. They can go to a dump and be recycled (we hope), but see the article in last weeks Time magazine about the problem of waste dumps in China. Digital products use heavy metals both in the device itself and in the manufacturing process of the device.

Analog photography uses organic chemicals along with silver. Silver is a very benign metal, used medically for years as an antisceptic. The organic chemicals can be easily disposed of. Any heavy metals present are used at such low concentrations they are difficult to detect and present no significant problems.

Developers can be evaporated and burned safely with a good environmentally correct incinerator and color bleach and blix, when desilvered, can be used dilute as an approximate substitute for miracid on some plants. We worked long and hard to insure that photographic chemistry is as harmless as possible.

And now, digital printers want to use pigment inks. Well, some pigments rely on the use of heavy metals. I think this is another potentially harmful item to be aware of.

This same type of question keeps coming up over and over and over.

PE

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin