Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,963   Online: 890

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i just used the name instead of typing in "what's his face"
    i mean no disrespect to any of the joe's out there
    Sorry, that was unnecessarily snotty on my part. I understood what you meant; apologies...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino View Post
    We used a cation exchange resin on the Lipsner Smith Film Cleaning machines; wonder if that was one of them?

Found this: http://www.massengineers.com/Documen...0excangers.pdf
    any relevance to our topic?
    Kino, the resin I bought was a 3 part mixture. One part was a mixed bed resin which was a mixture of anionic and cationic resin beads. The other part (3rd component) was a neutral porous material that sucked up any organic materials. It was similar to activated charcoal only more efficient. That is one reason why the hardware store variety is less efficient. It uses charcoal and only one resin; it has lower capacity, but it is less expensive. I have not tried to work out any conditions for these filters, but have a batch of them in the DR waiting for a chance to do the work.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino View Post
    Sorry, that was unnecessarily snotty on my part. I understood what you meant; apologies...
    no worries, people call me joe all the time so i know where u are comming from!
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    Sometimes reusing is better than recycling. I've refilled my HP laser toner cartridges for many years. Refilled cartridges suffice for most uses. Likewise, instead of recycling tin cans and plastic and glass bottles and buying them back as remanufactured products, they can be used or adapted in many applications. Sixtyfive years ago, when America didn't have the option of dumping our waste overseas, we said, "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." That saves money and the environment today, too.
    My presumption is that HP does re-use the cartridges - probably via a third-party arrangement with a re-filler. As AgX noted - you can buy "re-filled" printer cartridges at Staples.

Mind you that I am a sole user (as you seem to be). As I noted, in the brochure the label was valid for the return of up to 12 cartridges - so it is an attractive means of responsible disposal for businesses - who are far and away much larger consumers of printer cartridges and are very unlikely to want to refill their own.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Refilled dye cartridges may not contain the same generation of ink dye as the one supplied by the printer manufacturer, and therefore image stability may suffer.

PE

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE,

In case someone, who has no chance to get his developer waste incinerated, wants to employ a resin/carbon filter. How would he run the treatment?

As you indicated a common kitchen water `purifyer´ could do the job. I don’t know how many brands and systems are out there. But obviously you assume they all contain anion- and cation-exchanging resins, plus that active corbon bed. (Those resins employed in dishwashers only contain a cation-exchanging resin.)
    Must the alcality be adjusted?
    Would one run be sufficient? Would several runs lower the organic load?
    How does one know that the cartridge is exhausted (or rather filled)?
    (Whith reference to that current thread on food containers, of course the use of such a cartridge gives way to an erronous use.)
    And in the end one need to get rid of the cartridge too. Thus also delivering it to be incinerated. This time however as a smaller volume…

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These household or home filters generally only contain resins that remove the positively charged salts such as calcium and iron, and the carbon will remove the organics. Both work to capacity. In household filters, they assume low levels of organics and metal salts, and that is why I said this was inefficient. It can show you the way to go. You would probably have to stack 2 or 3 of these filters for a batch of sludge from your processing work, and run the developer and fixer through them.

Acids and bases would have to be neutralized.

As I stated above, I have the filters here and intend to do some experiments to quantify it. If it works out, then I can get some 'real' resins and test them out and develop a more practical home method that would allow a dry, small volume package to be put out as chemical waste.

I did this all at Kodak in the 70s, but would have to recreate it here and now, and determine the cost effectiveness. The home filters are a nice starting place for anyone interested in trying though.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Refilled dye cartridges may not contain the same generation of ink dye as the one supplied by the printer manufacturer, and therefore image stability may suffer.

PE
    My posts are regarding a toner cartridge for a B&W laser printer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    not that it might not be fun to create a 2-stage macgyver/ mad scientist filter bed
    but wouldn't it be more cost effective to have things carted away or use a trickle tank? it really isn't too much effort or cost ...
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    My posts are regarding a toner cartridge for a B&W laser printer.
    Ahh, and I was thinking refillable ink (dye) cartridges.

PE

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin