Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,733   Posts: 1,515,291   Online: 899

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    ...but wouldn't it be more cost effective to have things carted away or use a trickle tank? it really isn't too much effort or cost ...
    I'm in the situation that a collecting truck comes to the community regularly where I can deliver several seperate 10-liter tanks with exhausted developer and exhausted fixer.

However there are members around who have no discarting service around who might want to keep the waste for better times (concerning a discarting service), or where there might be severe limitations on the volume of fluid waste.

For those a type of filtration cartridge PE is thinking of might be an outcome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, I contacted the utility service that provides our sewer treatment. I cannot dispose of spent developer and fixer down the drain. I need to treat it or take it to a treatment center, get an account, etc. I want to look into treating it.

So I have looked at the water purification section of the local big-box hardware store and I see filters that will remove organic compounds, and I can certainly use the iron wool or aluminum foil process for removing silver. I ran university research lab for several years where we processed our own water using these types of cartidge filters (several types in series, each providing a different filtering effect), but those filters operated under pressure... the normal pressure of a city water system.

Will these filters from the hardware store work if the solution is simply gravity fed... a holding tank connected to a filter draining into another holding tank? Or does it need to be pressurized? Should I consider something else?

I admit that I know nothing about this kind of setup and my question may be dumb...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wclavey View Post
    OK, I contacted the utility service that provides our sewer treatment. I cannot dispose of spent developer and fixer down the drain. I need to treat it or take it to a treatment center, get an account, etc. I want to look into treating it.

So I have looked at the water purification section of the local big-box hardware store and I see filters that will remove organic compounds, and I can certainly use the iron wool or aluminum foil process for removing silver. I ran university research lab for several years where we processed our own water using these types of cartidge filters (several types in series, each providing a different filtering effect), but those filters operated under pressure... the normal pressure of a city water system.

Will these filters from the hardware store work if the solution is simply gravity fed... a holding tank connected to a filter draining into another holding tank? Or does it need to be pressurized? Should I consider something else?

I admit that I know nothing about this kind of setup and my question may be dumb...
    Before you go to all that trouble - did you check whether or not there is a hazmat drop-off location in your community?

In Tucson (where we are P/T residents) there is a readily accecessible hazmat drop-off location. It's open several days a week (including Saturdays) and you just drive into their "thru-garage" and pop to trunk. They unload the cans, bottles of whatever nasties you have and send you on your way. No account needed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have called the local hazmat service provider for our community and have not gotten a final answer... I am investigating the 2 solutions in parallel.

We have 2 scheduled hazmat pickups each year (paint, distillates, oil, grease, etc... and I would assume I could put it out with that), and the CSR on the phone told me that she thought I would have to set up an account and schedule pickups if I didn't want to sit on it for the twice a year pick-ups. But I'm waiting for the area manager to call me back.

At my current pace it would only be about 2-3 gallons/month (depending on the mix of 4x5 and 120), so holding it would not be too big a problem, but if I can reasonably treat it and then put it down the drain, that's better for me and my limited space.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I see your question as essentially boiled down to the environmental ramifications of semiconductor manufacturing and the life-cycle of the manufactured components versus that of film and processing chemisty.

The advantage, recycling-wise, that I see with film and associated chemistry manufacturing is that the products are relatively widely segragated already, in their manufactured state. Recycling chemistry and even film or paper is straight-forward, compared with what it would take to truly recycle the hazardous chemicals and elements from semiconductors.

The problem with semiconductors such as IC's (intergrated circuits) is that implanted within the silicon chips are grids of arsenic, phosphorus and boron, the three common 'dopants' used to make silicon either positive or negatively doped. And these doped regions are microscopic in size, and physically located in microscopic proximity to one another. Meaning that if you were to attempt to remove the arsenic doped into the source regions of each microscopic transistor, you'd have to essentially reverse-engineer the entire semiconductor manufacturing process. You'd have to lay down lithography masks to etch away each region, for instance. And you don't have access to the litho mask for each layer within the chip: they're proprietary.

So the common recycling strategy is to 'assume' that the chips, in their packages, are 'inert'. Whether or not they really are is a more difficult question to answer. Perhaps these chips can be ground up into a slurry, and then their constituent chemical elements reduced, isolated and seperated chemically. Of course, this begins to sound like a process just as environmentally problematic as the original manufacturing process itself.

I think therefore that analog/chemical photography products are far less problematic to manufacture and recycle. Whether they are, in actual fact, manufactured and recycled in an environmentally conscious manner is not a technological problem, but rather a regulatory issue.

Recycling integrated circuits, on the other hand, is a big problem that hasn't been solved yet.

Just my 2 bits.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin