Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,274   Online: 808

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A handful of doomsday believers offed themselves prior to the millenium changeover. So yes, the world did come to an end for them. They were correct. For some of us . . . nothing happened, nothing changed.

There's a latin phrase for that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven View Post

When I put my camera in flower mode, how come I don't get a flower in my shots? If I am taking a picture of a friend, but I had the camera in mountain mode, will the picture turn out? Seriously, it is amazing some of the questions I have heard, and I am not making these up.

A G Studio
    Can you use digital tripods with film cameras?

- Justin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you cannot use digital tripod with film camera because it does not have tripod mode. But technology is advancing and advancing and advancing and advvvvvvv colapsing and cooooo

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    in the world of commercial photography, they don't even want a photographer
    nowadays ... they have someone shoot video, then
    the technician (McTech ?) stares at the monitor and
    cherry-pick still images from the - stream - ...
    Some newspapers here in the States have started doing this -- giving their staff "photographers" HD video camaras from which the "photo editor" picks the frame they want.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderman View Post
    Some newspapers here in the States have started doing this -- giving their staff "photographers" HD video camaras from which the "photo editor" picks the frame they want.
    All businesses eventually turn into some guy sitting on his ass in front of a monitor.

ALL businesses.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post
    All businesses eventually turn into some guy sitting on his ass in front of a monitor.

ALL businesses.
    Aha, Bjorke, you are wrong!

Reading this while at work, I have resolved to always stand in front of my monitor when I peruse your posts!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    ... and those cameras will be linked into the Microsoft mainframe. Your wedding album will be emailed to you before the reception is over and the prints will be whirring out of your printer while you pack for the honeymoon. (all rights to those pics reserved by Microsoft, of course)
    Damn! I was only joking, honest! :o http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/129

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke View Post

ALL businesses.
    Hey! Trademark that, QUICK

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Most of what I know about Erwin Puts comes from his "Leica Lens Compendium", which does a great job of communicating the finer points of optics in a highly readable style. Comparing the book with writings such as the one on his website, I would have to say that the book has benefited heavily from the efforts of the publisher's editors, whereas the article cited by the OP is barely coherent, has no logical structure, makes sweeping statements without citing any evidence or other corroboration and is in general what we writing professionals call a "sticky mess".

Puts has apparently no knowledge of professional photography or the history of the medium. No sooner had the wet collodion negative/positive process been invented than people like Henry Peach Robinson (in the 1850s) were manipulating the medium to the limit of the facilities available to them - the art of retouching also developed by leaps and bounds, and by the time the Aerograph machine came in use around 1920, there was very litttle which retouchers and graphic designers could not do to change a straight photograph out of all recognition. As a professional photographer, I know of nothing which Photoshop can do which wasn't done 80 years ago - digital imaging and Photoshop just make it easier, quicker and less demanding in terms of skills. Puts seems not to know this, which gives his views zero credibility as far as I am concerned.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What exactly has Putz done in his life that he garners such attention on the internet? He is an absolutely awful photographer from the images I have seen of his, and I don't think he really understands much about photography from the writings of his I have read. I have pretty much dismissed him as someone on a soapbox that shouts really loud but doesn't have anything relevant to say.

Patrick

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin