Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,177   Online: 1043

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My all time favorite was the Rollie 35S. Razor sharp optics, small (although not light), manual focus with built in meter. I also had a Rollie 35T and found that optically I couldn't tell the difference from the mythic 35S. The "T" can be picked up for less than the "S". The only thing is you can not change lenses.

For a camera that you can change lenses on I have found the Pentax MV to be great with the 43mm pancake lens. This lens has produced amazing 11x14's for me. The camera is aperture priority, very small and light.

Just a few of my favorite things......

Eric

PS. Tiger really did exist, not a fish story by any means.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Images
    You're right. I was more curious about whether anyone was still making a really small camera, like those shirt-pocketable P&S's, that would help avoid the "missed opportunity" phenomenon for serious photographers on-the-go. I'm happy with my quarter century old CL and Eric mentions those beautiful old Rolleis but is anyone still making anything that would fill the bill?

Eric, I'm not doubting the veracity of any of those missed shot stories. I just found it funny that we all have those "the-one-that-got-away" experiences.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been experimenting with an interesting camera - An Agfa "Silette" (1950 -1960?) - that I bought at a yard sale for the grand sum of $US1.00 - complete with a Watson (?) bulk film loader half full of Plus-X. Interesting camera. Manual everything - no rangefinder or meter, has a self-timer, tipod socket, "M" flash synch - and an absolutely *wonderful* 45mm lens. All metal!!!

Anyway, I might suggest that you check out the Minox 35. Wonderfully compact full frame (actually double ) 35.

A friend has one and is hopelessy in love with it.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Images
    You know? I think that you have put your finger on the solution.
    Years ago I bought a wonderful Voigtlander Vito B for ten bucks at a garage sale. Great optics, finely machined metal body and definately pocketable. It served me for years of rugged service in conditions that I didn't want to bring my expensive SLRs and I often lent it to friends and relatives who took it all over the world.

What do you think you'd get if you walked into a camera store today with Ten dollars in your pocket?
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (David Hall @ Jan 23 2003, 07:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> One more thing...

This is even WORSE than not having the camera...

I was in Maine once, along the coast, at sunrise, 4x5 camera mounted and waiting and lenses all cleaned and spotless. Velvia loaded in the Polaroid holder...

The light was incredible, and then turned simply heavenly. Not jus the sky but the air itself turned lavender in one second. I was delighted...

and the holder jammed. Jammed&#33; I couldn&#39;t pull the sleeve, and I couldn&#39;t pull the sheet out of the holder. I had to just stand there 3000 miles from home, next to &#036;2,500 worth of the best 4x5 equipment, merely watching the miracle of light. And I swear I could hear someone, somewhere up in the clouds snickering...

dgh </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    What else can happen; you forget to pull the dark slide, double expose a previous beauty, or forget to load that side of the holder. You should always have back ups. Nothing is more frustrating, bush league, amateurish then missing those golden moments. We can all count those times on our hands, some on hands and feet.

In landscape photography, rarely do all the elements come together at the decisive moment. There is always some little gremlin shaking a leaf, branch, nerves, to try to make you blow the shot. Read the account of how Ansel Adams photographed the most celebrated landscape photograph in the world, "Moon Rise Hernandez." It seems he only had a matter of minutes to set up his 8X10 camera, compose, choose filter, get film holder ready, before the sun set. In the end, he could not find his exposure meter&#33; He had to rely on his experience to remember the reflectance value of the moon, and work it in with all the other variables. He was able to get off one exposure. Then within a mater of seconds, the sun light was gone before he could make a second negative.

The positive side of the matter, there is always another day.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    Large Format
    To continue RAP&#39;s theme, how about the shot it took you hours to get, getting up at 3 am, driving 3 or 4 hours. Setting the camera, everything goes without a hitch. You come back home and you mess up the negative developing it. To me this is thw worst&#33; You get to see the wonderful shot right there, and know you cant print it. How do I know?..I am looking at a beautiful 12x20 landscape where I have uneven developing....stupid me tried to develope 3 negatives at the time instead of my usual brush developing....serves me right for being lazy&#33;

Shooter
    Large Format
    OH No&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; So sorry to hear that. I was so looking forward to seeing it too. Oh well, someone once told me that is why erasers are placed on pencils. Too bad noboby has come up with a similar remedy for situations such as this. Better fortune next time.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Every time I struggle in the darkrom trying to pop a Kodak 35mm cartirdge apart (seems like they are that most resistant to dismantling) I&#39;m reminded of a roll of *very interesting* spot news (read `papparazzi&#39 exposures taken in Miami, Florida.

I removed the cartridge from my Olympus Om-4 - and dropped it. The #&#036;^%#@ thing landed just wrong - on *that* end of the spool.

Ah - the painful memory of realizing that the film had unwound like a clock spring in the afternoon Florida sunlight...
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dnmilikan @ Jan 26 2003, 07:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> OH No&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; So sorry to hear that. I was so looking forward to seeing it too. Oh well, someone once told me that is why erasers are placed on pencils. Too bad noboby has come up with a similar remedy for situations such as this. Better fortune next time. </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Donald if you come up with an eraser for bad negatives you would be a millionare and I would be your first customer&#33;

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My favorite film blunder has happened a couple of times to me.

You have a roll of 120/220 either exposed or unexposed. You are loading/unloading it, and you drop it&#33;

And watch it roll across the floor and completly unwind itself......
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin