Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,555   Online: 1173

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The late and terribly lamented Camera and Darkroom magazine once had a most entertaining article about the "dumb" mistakes of the most hghly regarded of photographers.
    I remember two in particular .. Eisenstadt recalling how he loaded a roll of already exposed 35mm film... automatic double exposures; and Cartier-Bresson "decisive momenting" away with the .... ready for this? ... lens cap over the lens of his Leica.

One vivid one I remember illustrates just how dumb most models are (They AREN'T - as a group, they are probably the most intelligent and knowledgable I've ever encountered). It was the end of the session, lots of complicated posing (most times I find myself working in stream-of-consciousness mode) - I was enthusiatic -- everything looked good, until I went to take the film out of the last Hasselblad magazine - there wasn't any. I had forgotten to load it.

So... I thought ... Be smooth ... cover up...

I said to the model ... "Wait ... I just happened to think of a few more poses ..."

It didn't work - not even a little bit. She just said to me, " Yeah - right. You forgot to load the magazine., didn't you, Slick!"

So much for my "slickness".

Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Now, see, if you would have been shooting a classic Bronica with a trusty "Filminder" back instead of one of those Swedish wonders, you wouldn't have been able to cock the shutter without film in the camera.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (David A. Goldfarb @ Jan 27 2003, 01:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Now, see, if you would have been shooting a classic Bronica with a trusty "Filminder" back instead of one of those Swedish wonders, you wouldn&#39;t have been able to cock the shutter without film in the camera.</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Go ahead ... rub it in. I&#39;m willing to take all the ridicule in exchange for those instances where dumb errors turn into something llike Ansel Adam&#39;s "Fortunate Mistakes."

Come to think of it, I borrowed a video tape from my local Library - featuring Ansel.
    There was one scene where, in front of a class, he exposed Polaroid film in a back installed on his 8" x 10" camera - with the lens cap on. He pulled the film - and said something like, "Aha&#33; Thiis is what I mean when I talk about `Zone X&#39;. "

Did you know that he routinely dried "test prints" in his microwave?

That model I wrote about - she is a graduate of Sarah Lawrence, had studied for a year at Oxford, and is an *accomplished* Cello player.
    Hmm... all the female Cellists I know (five) also model "au natural". I wonder - something in the genes?

Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I&#39;ve tried the microwave trick. It works&#33;
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My most embarrasing moment happened on a landscape workshop that I was leading in the English/Scottish border country. I was demonstrating how changing exposure and development when working with only two stops of contrast will increase the contrast. To illustrate the differences I expose and develop one 4 x 5 sheet of film normally, followed by a second where I underexpose and overdevelop. I talked through the procedure with the 12 participants as I made the exposures and returned to my darkroom to process the film, which I did as they enjoyed the lunch prepared by my wife. When I processed the sheets of film they were both clear.........I had not pulled the dark slide before I made the exposure........not once but twice.

A few years later I saw a TV documentary about O Winston Link where he revisited many of the locations of his best remembered train photographs. The final part of this very interesting film showed Link setting up a shot using the remaining supply of flash bulbs to photograph a train pulling into a station. The shutter was released, there was a blinding light as the 100&#39;s of bulbs went off followed by an expletive from off camera............he had forgotten to pull the dark slide. I have to admit that I felt a little better in the knowledge that I was in good company.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ah yes....the evil dark slide&#33;

For me the worst was working with THREE models....THREE. All first timers, all friends. So it was VERY easy for them to gang up on me if they noticed a mistake&#33; I was shooting I think the third roll of the session on my ETRsi, when I went to changeout the roll...and noticed the darkslide was in. In just ENOUGH to cover the image, but not enough to trigger the shutter lock which says "Hey idiot&#33; Pull me&#33;" Luckily I managed to hide that mistake.... I would have been doomed had they found out&#33;

Then again, it is often that I set a pose up with a model, press the shutter and..........

NOTHING.....

DOH&#33; Then I pull the dark slide and recompose. Not exactly sauve looking.

Or the time I was shooting Polaroids with my Graphic at a Halloween party. Two drinks and I was forgetting to pull the envelope before shooting&#33; Luckily THAT shows up quickly.

And of course at the same party I somehow managed to load an envelope in while my back was set to "P". I have NO idea how I did this, but I spent the next ten minutes at the sink cleaning the gunk out my back&#33;

How guys like Weegee ever got anything done is beyond me.,....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I&#39;m always firing the shutter with the darkslide in, but I usually figure it out as I realize I&#39;ve just fired the shutter and I don&#39;t have a darkslide to put back in.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My usual boner is to forget to close the shutter before pulling the darkslide. DUH&#33;&#33;
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Of course, there is always the thrill that accompanies turning the white lights on in the darkroom ... and realizing that you are gazing directly into a wide-open paper safe, complete with paper.

What about wiping out a JOBO tank with a wad of paper towels, loading the exposed paper, processing it, and finding out that you never removed the paper towels...
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin