Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,907   Online: 1163

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

While driving home from work yesterday, I saw an incredible cloud formation. It was one of the very high, whispy clouds well offset from the sun. There must have been a lot of ice crystals in it though because the sun, even it was a good 30-40 degrees away from the cloud, was shining through it like a prism. Unfortunately, by the time I got home to my camera, the effect was gone.

This has happened to me several times. I often carry my camera with me and have caught some good pictures just by happenstance. There was a brush fire on a hillside, a bald eagle, some nice sunsets, etc.

Over time, however, my main camera bag has grown from a small thing with 2 lenses, a few filters, lens cleaning materials, and some extra film into a backpack style bag with 2 bodies, 5 lenses, a mass of filters, reference material, etc. Some days, I am just not motivated to carry it with me to work so I leave it at home.

So, what do you do? Obviously you don't carry your camera everywhere, but what do you carry on a regular basis and why? I have been thinking of buying another smaller camera bag (I donated my original bag to my kids for their equipment) but have been debating on what to carry in it (and what I carry will dictate the size I buy). I've been thinking of just my two zooms (28-80 and 70-300) with polarizing filters for each. I would take my 50mm instead of the shorter zoom but I need the macro capability of the short zoom until I get my 105mm micro.

I saw 2 great potentials recently. About a month ago I was some where up north in New England in the mountains (Vermont?) and there were storm clouds and there was a break threw of sun. It looked like an Ansel Adams picture, but I just kept driving on... And more recently I went to the beach to watch the moon rise ( I had with me my 4x5 of course) and as soon as I pulled into the parking lot there were two boys leaving. One was on a bike, the other in a crate on weals being pulled by the bike. They were both wearing tin-foil hets they made themselves. It was so beutiful with this huge full-yellowish moon rising behind them. Had I left 1 min. earlier I would have gotten it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The camera I usually carry everywhere is a Voigtlander Perkeo II--a folding 6x6 camera that is smaller and lighter than many 35mm rangefinders--loaded with Tri-X or Delta 400. I still occasionally miss things, but less often than I used to.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    see, i think that if i am supposed to get the image i will. you can't have everything, can you? it's that zen thing I think.

lee/c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You know, when I was in South Dakota I always carried my camera. There is somehting about that place that clarifies everything, and it was easy to see a shooting opportunity.

But here in Utah I find that it doesn't matter to me if I have a camera with me all the time. Sure, I've had to endure not having a camera while some very fine scene played out in front of me, but I learned why it happened, so maybe I'll be able to predict it a little better.

And without the camera, I got to enjoy it all the more. So now I just say, "that's really nice" and think to myself, "Velvia, 90mm, f/16, 1/4 sec.; yep, that's really nice."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had the reverse happen on the weekend. Went to a historic car rally and got all prepared by taking my pinhole cameras (and associated junk, changing bag, pkts of paper). Had visions of capturing a old car or such... couldn't find one in a setting worth wasting a sheet of paper on! There were people everywhere! I ended up taking some 35mm with 28mm lens (to get in front of the crowds) and some sneakycam candid stuff with a little zone-focus compact, but lost the lens cap off that in my travels! Usually I end up somewhere and wish I'd bought a camera.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think my most memorable missed shot was once when I was watching some signage workers changing a billboard, and they had a big crane set up with a noose around the Marlboro man's neck. I just stood there and enjoyed the moment.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

I've bought a few cameras over time. The goal is always a small,cheap camera that takes good pictures. Something I can lose,drop or have stolen and the only thing I worry about is the film. The Ensign folder is kind of big for a pocket camera but not too much. The various screw mount 35mm are all small and easily replaceable. I don't worry about extra lens. If it can't be taken with the normal lens then I miss it. The folder uses the sunny 16 rule in place of me carrying a meter. I don't really need to focuss it. Just set it at F/16 [depending on the sun] and the focus out to hyperfocal. Not too much of a compromise when the lens wide open is 6.8.

Now the real issue. It's been below 0F the last two mornings. How do you keep your hands from freezing to the camera-))

</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robert @ Jan 23 2003, 06:23 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Now the real issue. It&#39;s been below 0F the last two mornings. How do you keep your hands from freezing to the camera-)) </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Move to San Diego&#33;

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin