Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,416   Online: 926

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sounds to me that, at least with the 13 yr old kid, that it was an excellant opportunity to, hopefully, enlighten the kid about a different method of capturing flowers in a photograph.

Just like youth may represent the future economic stability of tobacco companies i.e., get them hooked so they will need to buy the product------- Todays youth, IMHO, play a huge role in the future of film; we need to get them hooked. A difficult endeavor to say the least.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck1 View Post
    Sounds to me that, at least with the 13 yr old kid, that it was an excellant opportunity to, hopefully, enlighten the kid about a different method of capturing flowers in a photograph.

Just like youth may represent the future economic stability of tobacco companies i.e., get them hooked so they will need to buy the product------- Todays youth, IMHO, play a huge role in the future of film; we need to get them hooked. A difficult endeavor to say the least.
    Mhmm. You got me hooked! I try on my friends, but peer pressure lost it's power thanks to the PM commercials against it...
    Vincent Purcell
    Lexington KY Photographer + Media Artist
    http://vincenttpurcell.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post

I didn't mean to get into the analog-digi debate (and I don't think you did either, Bob), it's simply the snobbery from whatever source that always amuses me.
    Right, David. I just find it amusing that to some folks convenience and quality are somehow connected. I won't get into the digi vs film debates because often both sides are wrong in their arguments anyway. I shoot what I shoot because I like it and as artist's choice it needs no more explanation.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    Right, David. I just find it amusing that to some folks convenience and quality are somehow connected. I won't get into the digi vs film debates because often both sides are wrong in their arguments anyway. I shoot what I shoot because I like it and as artist's choice it needs no more explanation.

Bob
    Last week I went to a Yankees game at the stadium.

For years, sitting on the wall between the home plate screen and the Yankees dugout at first base has been a small "Fujifilm" banner.

[Don't worry, it's still there!]

During the pre-game time, as is always the case, they do some charity honorifics where some sponsors gives a donation to some worthy cause - and, of course, some Yankee player makes the presentation and they take pics etc.

So, here it was, the night that Fujifilm was the sponsor making the charity presentation to some "arts for education" group and they took the pics etc.

And, yes, as you'd expect, the photog was using a digiSLR.

Now I know that Fuji is "eyebrows deep" into the digi world - but here the sponsor was its Fujifilm division!

Just once I hoped, though I knew better, perhaps they would have the pics taken with a film camera full of Fuji film! :o

Alas, that was not to be the case.

What do you do? What do you do?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    George, Fuji is a large conglomerate into a lot ob businesses besides photography. The Fujifilm unit also makes the digi cameras. I don't care, particularly if sales of the digis help keep film alive.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck1 View Post

I agree, this was a great missed learning opportunity. What bugs me is that sometimes we are a bit too much on the defenssive because we assume some soccer mom is being a jerk to us by asking about a digital technique when it fact it was a film technique.

Cut the lady a break! After all, do you really think she spends any time in these forums? Maybe soccer mom didn't know any better. Maybe she just likes pretty pictures and recently discovered the art of photography (yes, digital is also photography). Maybe it was cheaper for soccer mom to get a cute little digital camera for under $200.00 and is able to print out pictures of her kids and things she likes. Maybe she can't afford to spend money on a darkroom or $15.00 for prints at the crappy corner drugstore developing every roll she shoots.

She was intrigued because she liked what she saw. I have heard that the best form of flattery is immitation. Maybe after explaining the work that goes into a print from film she might have been even more impressed and purchased the print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Snegron
    "She was intrigued because she liked what she saw. I have heard that the best form of flattery is immitation. Maybe after explaining the work that goes into a print from film she might have been even more impressed and purchased the print."

If one spend hours to explain what is a matter, the best can happen is that she says "wow" and to disapper. Mentality and way of thinking is in question. She probaly have some pictures on her walls, but if one ask her what is on that pictures, good chance is that she have no idea. Beleive me, rare are people today that are able to see the "difference". It is not in art only, is just in any our activity. I was present when top engineer in one automotive company is fired and his boss said he can get his replacement in just anyone passing the company's window. And he realy think so.

www.Leica-R.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_OB View Post
    I was present when top engineer in one automotive company is fired and his boss said he can get his replacement in just anyone passing the company's window. And he realy think so.
    He might "think so", but it doesn't make it true.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    David
    He might "think so", but it doesn't make it true.

I agree, but it the problem.
    So what is now behind? The same company got the business from Chrysler and sucess is attached to that boss, and now many more think he is "always" right. But what happened is: the Chrysler want to have more competitors for suppliers so it will drive the price down. If Chrisler gave the business to someone else that company is down for forever... How they will get job done is different story. So now, true or not, who care. No differnce. It is whole system in one wheel, it is a way of thinking. Incurable. Art, medicine, engineering, mechanics, bakers, computers,... same everywhere. Hat down, there are still that other kind of people that use their own brain and inteligence, but not many.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If one spend hours to explain what is a matter, the best can happen is that she says "wow" and to disapper.

D_OB,
    Sometimes, very true!
    Over the years I've gotten pretty good at determining who is truly interested in buying, who wants to "pick my brain," who has a chip on their shoulder, and who is just wasting an afternoon at an art show.
    You see, we're under no obligation to explain anything.
    But since you never know what the public's intentions are, you have to be tackfull and professional.
    DT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin