Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,960   Online: 958

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A previous post called 'missed opportunities' started on the topic of what photo kit to carry with you every day but then changed to a photo blunders thread - and a very interesting read. I'd like to reintroduce the topic of what you guys carry around every day so you won't miss that unexpected photo opp.

Small and simple is good. I also prefer mechanical and manual, but that's just me. I seem to be stuck in the 40's to 70's when it comes to cameras that I find interesting. I always want to be carrying some kind of camera. Also good is something picked up cheap so losing it or damaging it won't hurt too much. Whenever I get a new used camera, it is the one I lug around for a while until I get used to it and the novelty wears off. When I got my Speed Graphic a few weeks ago, it came with me for a few days. After that experience, carrying a Rollei TLR did not seem to be that cumbersome anymore. Sometimes I'll switch cameras on a day where I decide I'm 'feeling MF' and not 35mm. I may have a regular travelling camera for a while, or I may switch as the mood strikes me. Here's a list of cameras that I've taken back and forth to my regular job, or have with me in the car on weekends while doing errands:

Rollei 35TE, Kodak Rettina 2a, Agfa Karat, Canon QL3G, Konica S2, Nikon 601 with 50mm or 28-70mm, Pentax ME with 45mm pancake lens, Bessa 1, Perkeo 2, Nikonos 3. Most of these I bought at camera swap meets or garage sales for less than $100
    Art should unsettle the comfortable, and comfort the unsettled.

My photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The usual everyday camera is the Voigtlander Perkeo II, but occasionally I might use anything 4x5" or smaller.

One nice option that I use sometimes is a Canon EF set for MLU with a pinhole lenscap, fast film, and a Voigtlander Kontur finder for framing.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

I am arranged by "kits":

35mm kit is camera with lens on it, two other lenses, and three rolls of film. It's packed and usually in the car or brief case.

4x5 kit is a monorail in a domke bag with six holders and three lenses, loupe, meter, and darkcloth. Always packed and film is always loaded in the holders.

8x10 kit is a wooden field camera, two lenses, loupe, meter, and darkcloth. 6 holders, always loaded.

It was really pretty easier assembling all of these, and not that expensive except for buying two meters (which I did over 12 years, not at once) and the camera bags.

I did this because I lost count of the times I went on a trip and realized I had unloaded holders, or a polaroid back and a box of sheet film (not readyloads), or no meter, or no darkcloth.

dgh
    David G Hall

</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (David Hall @ Jan 29 2003, 03:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> 35mm kit is camera with lens on it, two other lenses, and three rolls of film. It&#39;s packed and usually in the car or brief case.
    </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Which lenses? This is what I&#39;ve been debating. A Long zoom and a couple of shorter Primes? Any filters thrown in for good measure?

35mm:

35mm, 90mm, 135mm. I actually use the 35mm about 80% of the time, the 90mm about 15% of the time, and the 135mm about never.

4x5:
    110, 150, 240

8x10
    240, 360
    David G Hall

Oh, filters,

Yes. Yellow all the way around. I also have deep orange and red lee filters for the 4x5 and 8x10, but then realized one day that I am not Ansel Adams reincarnated, so I don&#39;t ever really use those. I use the yellows quite a bit.

When I was doing color, until about five years ago, I always carried and often used a polarizer.

dgh
    David G Hall

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don&#39;t carry a camera everyday/everywhere but have recently been taking one with me while the family have been out riding our new bikes (Chrissy presents&#33 I take a Yashica ME-1 which is a zone focus compact with 38/2.8 lens loaded with Tri-X and a spare roll. The other day I took a couple of rolls, all while at least sitting on my bike, most while riding and am going to pick the better ones (lots of duds&#33 and create a story of sorts. I&#39;ll post the URL when it&#39;s ready for you to have a laugh&#33; I did the same thing from the car also... the bike makes for a better tripod&#33;

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Aggie,

Unless you either have lots of memory sticks or no aspirations beyond simple 5x7 prints, it seems like carrying a digital camera would be even more frustrating, because what if you saw the coolest thing ever but couldn&#39;t have any image other than a lowish rez digital image forever? At least with film of whatever size or speed, you always have more options and it&#39;s always archivable digitally in addition to the film itself. Right?

dgh
    David G Hall

There are lots of options besides having lots of memory sticks. I have a mindstore that holds 20gb of photos. I went to the olympics and took a over a thousand uncompressed pictures with a 5mp camera.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin