Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,531   Online: 1055

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Of course, this assume that the person buying the art is not himself being an ass to the point where the artist is not only not disappointed, but in fact glad this buyer does not want to buy his art therefore sparing himself the hassle of dealing with problem people. The customer is not always right, specially when he is asking the artist to compromise his integrity.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Kevin- I think there exists a not-so-subtle distinction between selling a finished product and providing a service. When I'm selling a product, I am much less concerned about the quality of the person buying it because it is a limited interaction. When providing a service, that's a different story.

I once had a customer for whom I shot copy slides of her artwork. The level of service I provided to her for the fee charged was disproportionate in her favor - I came to her house, shot the slides of her work in situ, charged the same price for an 8x10 original as a 30x40 original, and delivered the slides to her for $5 per original slide, $2 per in-camera dupe. She then went on to ask me for much greater service, cutting into my vacation time to shoot slides with a 2-day turnaround, and she expected me to do it at the same rate as my 7-day service. When I told her there would be a rush charge, she went ballistic. Needless to say, I would not take her business again. However, should she approach me at an art show and want to buy one of my prints, as long as she took it as delivered (matted, not framed), I'd be happy to take her money. People may be assholes, but money is green.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    People may be assholes, but money is green.
    Sorry Scott, I can't resist....

You say you are looking for a new tagline

Me bad.

Matt

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Scott, now look at it in the opposite way. Suppose you sold this lady a print about a year ago. You then provided the service the following year, she got upset with you and starts to bad mouth behind your back and in fact makes her opinion of you public to anybody who would listen to her. Would you again sell her a print? Would you want to deal with her again given the fact that she initially was very happy with the purchase of your print but subsequently, when you disagreed with her, she started calling you names and tarnishing your reputation? pretty much in the same way you did with Jorge. Would you sell her a print again or consider her a customer you would want to deal with once more?

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Kevin- I think there exists a not-so-subtle distinction between selling a finished product and providing a service. When I'm selling a product, I am much less concerned about the quality of the person buying it because it is a limited interaction. When providing a service, that's a different story.

I once had a customer for whom I shot copy slides of her artwork. The level of service I provided to her for the fee charged was disproportionate in her favor - I came to her house, shot the slides of her work in situ, charged the same price for an 8x10 original as a 30x40 original, and delivered the slides to her for $5 per original slide, $2 per in-camera dupe. She then went on to ask me for much greater service, cutting into my vacation time to shoot slides with a 2-day turnaround, and she expected me to do it at the same rate as my 7-day service. When I told her there would be a rush charge, she went ballistic. Needless to say, I would not take her business again. However, should she approach me at an art show and want to buy one of my prints, as long as she took it as delivered (matted, not framed), I'd be happy to take her money. People may be assholes, but money is green.
    Last edited by kjsphoto; 08-27-2007 at 12:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Kevin-

I have addressed this with you in PM. If you wish to discuss a specific concrete example naming names, we can continue to do so there. As far as I'm concerned, I will not specifically address anything about Jorge in public again, because he is not here to contribute to the discussion. That was my mistake in bringing it up in the first thread; I won't get sucked into doing it again here.

As to your other question, well, actually, the lady I provided service for did turn around and bad-mouth me - suddenly, what had been glowing reports to her friends about how good my slides were and how good my service was turned into a deliberate attempt to destroy my business making slides for artists. As I said in the previous example, knowing what a pain she was to deal with then, if she walked up to my display at an art show, said, "I'll take THAT one", and handed me the cash, I'm not going to toss her out of the tent with her money. I'd do the good Christian thing and show her I can forgive. Without making a show of it.

Shooter
    35mm
    We are all different. If someone is rude he is rude by someones standard but do not means in general, he is might be just different. But. Howelse we judge than by our own standards?
    I would like to know about an artsist many things before I buy his work. I he is even politically on my not-loving side I would reconsider my investment. Looking at work of art, for me, remains me on artist too and his life.

But see two friends photographers artists: Bresson and Doisneau. Many left Magnum because they did not like behaviour of Bresson, while Doisneau found smile for just anyone. In general, Parisians like work of Doisneau better but there are oposite too. But how many knows Bresson and still like his work, especially photogs (for some self reasons). What A. Adams did to his family to get well respected photographer, how many knows it?

Shooter
    35mm
    TheFlyingCamera
    ... I came to her house, shot the slides of her work in situ, charged the same price for an 8x10 original as a 30x40 original, and delivered the slides to her for $5 per original slide, $2 per in-camera dupe. She then went on to ask me for much greater service, ... When I told her there would be a rush charge, she went ballistic...

I have the limits when to behave in a professional manner and when to kick someone out. I have some tolerances, sometimes wide. But sometimes people comes out even of my wide tolerances. If you do not respect yourself, and show no personality, who will?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin