Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,569   Online: 798

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Don't ask what turned my brain in this direction. I honestly don't know.

But, I got to thinking yesterday and began pondering two issues. Here is the first:

What historical event would you most want to be able to photograph. It can be a single photograph or a something that would last a few years (like WWII or The Life of Buddha). Stay away from creation in whatever form you believe it happened but everything else is open. Whether or not photography was even invented yet is not an issue nor is practicality (so the Trinity Explosion from the base of the tower is fair game as well).

I came up with 3 (I couldn't decide on 1):

1. Jackie Robinson's rookie year in the Majors. The triumph and difficulites produced some profound moments and I would have loved to have been part of it.

2. The Eruption of Vesuvius and the resulting devestation on the Roman Civilization. The power of the eruption, the scenes of devestation, the emotions. It would have made a wonderful setting.

3. The eruption of Krakatoa. Immense power on a scale we can't even imagine.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The battle of Gettysburg, Lincolns assassination, Lincolns burial, the civil rights riots.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The immediate aftermath of the first neuclear bomb to leave images for future generations to so the absolute futility of war.

On the mmon with Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin

With Karsh as he made the great portrait of Winston Churchill, two great men in their respective fields. Not a great historical moment in world terms but great for me.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mark in SD @ Feb 4 2003, 11:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>

2. The Eruption of Vesuvius and the resulting devestation on the Roman Civilization. The power of the eruption, the scenes of devestation, the emotions. It would have made a wonderful setting.

</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Pompei? It&#39;s kind of a reach to call it devasting to Roman civilization.

How about sunrise/sunset taking one holder of the building of the pyramids. Each day until it&#39;s finished.

</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robert @ Feb 4 2003, 02:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Mark in SD @ Feb 4 2003, 11:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>

2.&nbsp; The Eruption of Vesuvius and the resulting devestation on the Roman Civilization.&nbsp; The power of the eruption, the scenes of devestation, the emotions.&nbsp; It would have made a wonderful setting.

</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Pompei? It&#39;s kind of a reach to call it devasting to Roman civilization.

How about sunrise/sunset taking one holder of the building of the pyramids. Each day until it&#39;s finished. </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    It wasn&#39;t just Pompeii. Herculaneum (sp?) and the entire bay of Naples was affected. This was a thriving trade port and a popular retreat for the Romans. The eruption did have ripple effects that affected the core of the empire. Most major natural disasters has such effects back then.

However, I meant more of "how such an event affected the people of Roman times as opposed to how Mt. St. Helens or Mt. Pinatubo (sp?) affected modern people".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would go with the Roswell Crash Site&#33;

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Photograph the dinosaurs&#33;&#33;&#33;

Christ. He has come to mean so many things to so many people, and his name is used in the most far-fetched of circumstances. I would love to see a simple, well lit, straightforward 8x10 contract print portait of his face, up close and with all the wrinkles and freckles. After walking for forty days and forty nights in the desert, he must have some nice weathering...

dgh
    David G Hall

Shooter
    Large Format
    Moses and the parting of the red sea....must have been an awsome sight, perfect for the 12x20.

The building of the pyriamids in Egypt.

An Aztec sacrifice...probably with a 35 mm and a long a&#036;&#036; telefoto.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin