Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,446   Online: 996

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mike, yes, I'd like to do that. Trouble is, I've got no eye whatsoever for landscape, and only the faintest glimpse of hope for successful still life shots. I adore photographing people, which makes it a bit tougher to get anything satisfying in those places. The 'stuff' is old and authentic, but the people -- not so much....

(I should clarify that in terms of 'the people' I mean that so much of this area is overrun by tourists....)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Cheryl,
    Having visited the area around Canyon de Chelly, I was impressed by the destitution of the indian reservations, the homes, the barren landscape and most of all the people. I would think that you could do wonders in portraying the present day reality of the Native Americans. I have a friend who is Seminole and his ancestors were involved in the "Trail of Tears". The clothing and the faces of these people is not dissimilar to that portrayed in the work of Edward Curtis.

I would love to see what you could do with a project along these lines.

Donald Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Donald,

You are dead on, with your insite here. I can almost see the same portrayal of Cheryls work with the Native Americans. In fact the eyes of most of her work is what captivates me, and these folks have some of the most expressive eyes I have ever seen. Michael Kennedy has done some nice work, but I think Cheryl could really bring us some work that would make Mr. Curtis proud.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    i'd love to go to the villages my grandparents were uprooted from in "the olde country".

Shooter
    Large Format
    Joe Lipka's recent article in LensWork touches on this subject. Your best photography is often of the area you know. Ansel Adams best work, for the most part, is what he knew. Many who admire Adams think they need to go to the same places in order to emulate his work; but you wind up producing tourist snapshots. Photograph where you live & you're liable to create far more insightful work. And, as Weston said, there is more thrill in finding beauty in the mundane.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
    >some editing< Many who admire Adams think they need to go to the same places in order to emulate his work; but you wind up producing tourist snapshots. Photograph where you live & you're liable to create far more insightful work. And, as Weston said, there is more thrill in finding beauty in the mundane.
    I don’t know, last weekend I submitted four photographs in a local juried art show. Two were the “tourist-type post-card” iconic (for Annapolis), and two others were still life / abstracts (not really). The judge kept the first two and rejected the others. The Mate (a watercolorist) suggested just the opposite.

As to where I would prefer to photograph, given no expense or time restrictions, night scenes in towns and city. I realize this can be done quite cheaply in my area, but I am not into self-defense and traveling alone in the spots I desire to photograph are very scary, especially at night. With funds I could afford a body guard :-)
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
    Your best photography is often of the area you know. Photograph where you live & you're liable to create far more insightful work. And, as Weston said, there is more thrill in finding beauty in the mundane.
    Photographing what is around day-to-day is the most difficult for me. What we see every day, we no longer "see", in that the neurons that fire and tell the inner being, "That's it!! Photograph This!!", are desensitized. I can travel to Europe, and burn through 20 - 30 rolls of film ... *no* problem. Here in Ipswich, Massachusetts, it is, "Uh .. I can't see anything.." By the same token, a visitor from Europe will burn through 20 - 30 rolls here in Ipswich..

The same phenomenon exists in asking directions from residents. Usually they are supremely inaccurate - not that those asked WANT to lead anyone astray, but the have ceased to "see", that is, pay conscious attention to their surroundings.
    My internal instructions - the ones I would use for myself in walking to the Pot Office - are, "Go out. Walk downtown to the Post Office." Directions to a visitor require a great deal more detail, and thought - conscious thought - that we do not normally do; "Walk out of the front door and turn left. At the end of the street, turn left. Walk to High Street, and turn left. You probably should cross the street and walk on the right side where there is a sidewalk..."

That takes discipline, the same sort of discipline required to work, photographically, with familiar objects and surroundings.

I volunteer at the local Visitor's Center. I've got to pay more attention to what seems to attract the attention of the visitors. Possibly, impersonating a Tourist - faking - uh .. "momentarily borrowing" their vision - can be an effective way to break out of an "Artistic Block".
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    This was addressed on a television show awhile back (I believe that it was 60 Minutes) A college professor back east conducts a course in "seeing". It was quite interesting. One of the examples that was brought out was the "arrow" on the side of the FedEx truck...until that show I had never seen it before. I see it today though.

I think that what others have said about seeing the everyday in new ways is what takes our photography away from snapshots or postcard type images. That is what Brett and Edward Weston were able to do. That is what Michael and Paula are doing in their work. That is what Jim Shanesy is doing. That is what I am working at myself.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Mike and Donald, thank you. I'm very flattered. That might be just the project for this spring / summer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Bratislava. SUR and Rendez. My City and my country. But if I would have really a lot of money, I will go for yerar or three to Paris. I love this City, but it is the most expensive place in the Universe... And week or two is nothing... And with a bit more money I would go near to Jupiter and Saturn and their moons. That's another landscape :-)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin