Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,966   Posts: 1,632,542   Online: 1021

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by laverdure View Post
    Given the track record of Russia and China for turning entire regions into wasteland where they set up industry, I'm a little put off by the idea of buying their photographic products. Anyone else thought about this?
    Then buy Ukrainian film instead! Svema is produced in Sumy Oblast - a place that's still more agricultural than industrial, and anything in the area that's going to be environmentally trashed probably is already. And you can get it in any color you like, as long as it's grey-scale.

By the way, did they ever finish cleaning up the DuPont site in Wheeling?

Tempting to ask if it would be OK to buy a Shen Hao if it were cut from free-range wood. Or would that make the situation worse?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey-ho, just take your time and visit Pereslavl-Zalessky - one of the gems of Russian Golden Ring of cities, where Slavich is located. I am sure you wouldn't be able to locate the factory - and yes, the wild nature there, like lakes and forests, is simply superb. Look on it by yourself with Google Earth

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Jim,

does SVEMA produce film again? The last batches of FN-64 bought in Moscow was a clumsily re-spooled FORTE film, in 120 they just put a new piece of sealing paper over the original one

Zhenya

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_in_Kyiv View Post
    Then buy Ukrainian film instead! Svema is produced in Sumy Oblast - a place that's still more agricultural than industrial, and anything in the area that's going to be environmentally trashed probably is already. And you can get it in any color you like, as long as it's grey-scale.

By the way, did they ever finish cleaning up the DuPont site in Wheeling?

Tempting to ask if it would be OK to buy a Shen Hao if it were cut from free-range wood. Or would that make the situation worse?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Alex- it's not an either/or situation. You don't have to live in a tipi to be an environmentalist.
    Oh! Its applied selectively then.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Hi Zhenya!

Svema is like Shostka cheese - the Northern Neighbor gets everything from Sumy Oblast because they can raise the prices when it crosses the border.

I did see some of the 64-speed in 35mm early this summer here in Kyiv, but I'm not sure how old it was. I was too excited by the fact that Ilford had discovered Ukraine and I can buy SFX-200 in 2 places within walking distance. Ahhh, civilization! After 5 years in an infrared desert.

I haven't seen anything from Svema in 120 for a long time. My understanding was that some movie film was still being produced for 'selected' art students and directors - the guy who won the short film award at Cannes last year was complaining about it, IIRC, and he had to buy film on the open market instead.

Actually, you have me wondering, because there is suddenly A LOT of Forte film, paper and chemistry here. I wonder where the film was really produced?

Cheers,
    Jim

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Hawley View Post
    Sounds like a very subjective judgment, but if that's the way you see it, probably shouldn't be buying photographic products from anyone. You obviously have a computer. How "green" is the infrastructure necessary to place the computer on your desk or lap?
    Did you see he reports about the computer manufactures in New Mexico ( do a search on goggle I do not remember the link ). They are destroying the place. If y you have an issue with buying film / paper from Russia or China I would think twice about buying a computer from the US.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Given the track record of Russia and China for turning entire regions into wasteland where they set up industry, I'm a little put off by the idea of buying their photographic products. Anyone else thought about this?
    Troll...

:rolleyes:

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino View Post
    Troll...

:rolleyes:
    Agree.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    PE- Thanks. I hadn't done any research of my own, clearly, but I suppose just repeating rumors. It's good to know, and it's much better news than I expected. I'll try to be more careful about making that sort of statement in the future.

Gentlemen- I had no idea this was going to be such a contentious thread. Frankly the relative value of ethical consumerism was not something I expected to have to defend. Luckily it doesn't need me!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    We Americans have no right to slap the Chinese or Russians or anyone else for polluting the planet and for selling crap material goods.

We do it every day.
    True, but no matter how low your opinion of the USA, on human rights it's somewhat ahead of Russia and WAY ahead of China.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin