Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,693   Online: 1017

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Ethics of buying Russian & Chinese film & paper

Given the track record of Russia and China for turning entire regions into wasteland where they set up industry, I'm a little put off by the idea of buying their photographic products. Anyone else thought about this?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I gave it a moment's though, then decided that to be consistent I would have to refuse buying US products too. And I still prefer Ektachrome to Fuji's E6 films...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As my mother use to say: "Look in your backyard first, before start accusing your neighbor!"
    A fool with mission!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by laverdure View Post
    - for turning entire regions into wasteland where they set up industry, I'm a little put off by the idea of buying their photographic products.
    Sounds like a very subjective judgment, but if that's the way you see it, probably shouldn't be buying photographic products from anyone. You obviously have a computer. How "green" is the infrastructure necessary to place the computer on your desk or lap?
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Yeah... Ain't no film production in my neighborhood anymore. (Unless you're talking about Photo Engineer?) And Kodak did pretty bad back when- back when they were an American company- but they had to clean up eventually. No doubt one of the reasons they moved everything to China. (BTW- Is there any US Kodak production anymore? Anyone know?)

Thanks, Ole, for reminding me about Kodak. I'm not interested in limiting myself completely to EU products either. But for myself the question bears more thinking about than just a throwing up of hands- it might, for instance, be a factor in choosing a standard brand of paper, or a reason to set against playing with Lucky just because it's cheap.

I don't mean to preach... I just think it's a subject worth thinking about.

Shooter
    35mm
    Alex- it's not an either/or situation. You don't have to live in a tipi to be an environmentalist.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The article on China in NYTimes doesn't do the math. If the Chinese are expected to surpass the US this year in total pollution, then per capita pollution is still only 1/5 of the US. China bashing should be done from a clean house, not made of glass. I like Slavich paper & have a Shen-Hao; and I consider myself an environmentalist (tree hugger to some).
    Last edited by doughowk; 08-26-2007 at 05:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah... Ain't no film production in my neighborhood anymore. (Unless you're talking about Photo Engineer?) And Kodak did pretty bad back when- back when they were an American company- but they had to clean up eventually. No doubt one of the reasons they moved everything to China. (BTW- Is there any US Kodak production anymore? Anyone know?)

Thanks, Ole, for reminding me about Kodak. I'm not interested in limiting myself completely to EU products either. But for myself the question bears more thinking about than just a throwing up of hands- it might, for instance, be a factor in choosing a standard brand of paper, or a reason to set against playing with Lucky just because it's cheap.

I don't mean to preach... I just think it's a subject worth thinking about.
    Kodak is in Monroe County NY. That is where Rochester is located.

Kodak Park film production is now running 24/7/365 making a good fraction of the total film made by Kodak world wide. There are still 4 sites making film for Kodak.

Kodak pollution emission has gone way down since the initial efforts started in the 60s. EK no longer uses Cadmium, Mercury, Ferricyanide, Formalin and a whole host of nasties as well as having reduced emission of methylene chloride which is used in making estar support among other things.

At this time, there is no Kodak film production in China.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Given the track record of Russia and China for turning entire regions into wasteland where they set up industry, I'm a little put off by the idea of buying their photographic products. Anyone else thought about this?
    Last time I looked, Manchester, England is not a wasteland. buy Ilford stuff with a clear concisions

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    We Americans have no right to slap the Chinese or Russians or anyone else for polluting the planet and for selling crap material goods.

We do it every day.

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin