Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,452   Online: 937

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Last edited by TheFlyingCamera; 09-02-2007 at 06:29 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: don't need to be politically inflammatory

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

A + B = dissonance

Suzanne,

The answer has always been cut, cut , cut, and put a band aid on the bleeding and thus the cycle...the answer is not to cut, do not pit one discipline against the other. The answer is to support, and to fund. School boards, state legislatures and many administration teams, and I might add faculty members, are inefficient and non creative. Cutting programs has not historically been the answer. Ask yourself and many teachers what effect and affect the "No Child Left Behind" program has had on your school, your learning environment and your ability to effectively teach.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave.. for the most part I agree, but I live in a town that is pricing senior citizens out of their homes. I'd like to see a few more cuts to the school administration before individual cuts happen to different classes.

They have threatened to close one of our local elementary schools in short order, but they never threaten to close the old school building that now houses the administration of the school district. Seems it's better for the kids to be overcrowded, than for the administrators.

This is a frustrating topic, Dave, and I'm not sure we are that far apart on it, but I hate to see the burden of justifying it fall to just a few teachers.
    Last edited by SuzanneR; 09-02-2007 at 08:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Nope we are agreeing, bottom line, local taxes ( property etc. ) can not support the school systems, most administrations are top heavy. The silent cut is of course also the low salaries of teachers. Here teachers can not afford housing, yet we have 23 or 24 of the world s largest hotels, quarterly profits are at all time highs. Average working life of a teacher coming here now is less than 3 years, even if you love the occupation, you have to pay the bills....

I do not know what the answer is but "the times they are a changing"
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    Dave.. for the most part I agree, but I live in a town that is pricing senior citizens out of their homes.
    But those seniors are not being priced out because the town needs to raise money for the school - they're being priced out because the housing market bubble has increased the value of their homes so much. Indeed, with the rise in home values, there should be more money available for schools - so the question is, where is all this money going?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    Dave.. for the most part I agree, but I live in a town that is pricing senior citizens out of their homes. ....
    I really do not understand this statement.

If the seniors own their homes - how are they being "priced out"?

Aren't they the "sellers"; not the "buyers"?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    I really do not understand this statement.

If the seniors own their homes - how are they being "priced out"?

Aren't they the "sellers"; not the "buyers"?
    The value of their homes has risen so much, they can no longer afford to pay the property taxes

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Suzanne,
    thanks for the link. I have passed it on the education manager for the visual arts degree at the tertiary institution I work at. He was very pleased to get it as he is being pressuered to cut costs, especially in the photography and life drawing areas.
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    The value of their homes has risen so much, they can no longer afford to pay the property taxes
    Yes... this is what I mean... they can't afford to pay the property taxes, and many must sell their homes.

Oddly enough, our housing market has dropped of late, but for some reason... our property taxes have not fallen as well. Go figure.

I don't have the answer to the dilemma of funding education. But I'm pretty sure local property taxes is a far from ideal solution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dslater View Post
    But those seniors are not being priced out because the town needs to raise money for the school - they're being priced out because the housing market bubble has increased the value of their homes so much. Indeed, with the rise in home values, there should be more money available for schools - so the question is, where is all this money going?
    Dunno... I have a few guesses... heatlh care benefits for town employees seems a big one... and health care benefits for the teachers and staff at the schools.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin