Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,998   Online: 693

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I agree with 'goldie' that shutter speed will potentially be the achilles heel. Not just for fast motion, but also long exposure in low light which can produce such wonderful atmospheric images.

Adds another big chunk to the digital workflow. Not just all the post-processing, but deciding which image is the definitive one.... also going to require a whole array of mass storage devices.

That said, I can see there being a number of applications where this offers real benefits. But no, I don't anticiapate joining the checkout queue.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Im sorry but I cant even begin to imagine dealing with even 24fps of 6MP images. thats 1440 frames in a min... thats 21,600mb.... IE 22Gbs roughly for a min of footage.... unless my math is real off... which is possible, but whatever the storage itll need to be LARGE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm View Post
    Im sorry but I cant even begin to imagine dealing with even 24fps of 6MP images. thats 1440 frames in a min... thats 21,600mb.... IE 22Gbs roughly for a min of footage.... unless my math is real off... which is possible, but whatever the storage itll need to be LARGE
    No doubt. Storage may be an issue for a while, however IBM's latest breakthrough in molecular computing has them claiming 30,000 HD Movies can be stored on the head of a pin. We're likely heading to a future where entire lives are recorded in high definition..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    No doubt. Storage may be an issue for a while, however IBM's latest breakthrough in molecular computing has them claiming 30,000 HD Movies can be stored on the head of a pin. We're likely heading to a future where entire lives are recorded in high definition..
    Does that mean we will have one fixed to the top of our heads; like a cyclops?:o With a wi-fi connection the the Ministry of Images perhaps.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes... sounds like an editing nightmare, and I think media outlets, especially the older print publications are struggling with how information will be presented in the future. I'm not sure they recognize the type of skills journalists and photojournalists need.

Frankly, with the tools changing for photojournalists and editors, I'm not sure the process has to change all that much. Yes, a lot of photographers are becoming videographers, but many are employing effective slideshows with audio to present stories. Check out the multimedia section on Ed Kashi's site. He's combining still, video and audio very effectively in story telling.

It'll be interesting to see the skill set needed for photojournalism, and if media outlets will be able to identify how to most efficiently gather, edit, and distribute stories with the tools our there, now.

http://www.edkashi.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think the editing of stills from motion pictures is just a different process from editing from contact sheets or transparencies. I suppose one first edits the footage for presentation as a movie, and in the process, you become sufficiently familiar with what's there and where the climaxes are, and then you just scrub through those moments to find the best frame.

The topic of photojournalists becoming video journalists is one of the central topics on Dirck Halstead's website, digitaljournalist.org. For cranky still film shooters, I recommend Bill Pierce's column-- http://digitaljournalist.org/archive...ns.html#pierce
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    IBM's latest breakthrough in molecular computing has them claiming 30,000 HD Movies can be stored on the head of a pin.
    Hmmm... and if the movies are all "Angels in America" then we will at last have the answer to one of the oldest theological questions:
    How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    For cranky still film shooters, I recommend Bill Pierce's column.
    Yes, I always read his column first... then ignore all the crap about video.
    As for the subject at hand, I have only one problem: I truly HATE video! Long live the still photograph!!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Sony is already dwarfed by the 12MP (@12-bit RAW), 60fps RED video cameras. Hose away.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean;

JVC makes an HDTV camcorder with 3 chips to eliminate aliasing. It allows frame grabs very simply. I have seen some startlingly good prints taken this way by Paul Gilman. He showed prints at one of our lunches made using the new Kodak printer.

PE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin