Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,954   Posts: 1,586,011   Online: 682

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Digital still cameras on the verge of obsolescence..

I had predicted that in 5-10yrs time that digital cameras (DSLR's etc) would become obsolete and digital video technology would allow for high resolution frame grabs. There would then be no such thing as photographers, just videographers. I was surprised to see it's practically arrived today with Sony announcing a new cmos chip. This chip will allow 6MP frame grabs from video. This will only improve of course. I am curious how this will change the future of still photography when it gets to this point of obtaining all still images from edited video frame grabs.

Note the article even touts this as a good thing:

Professionals will no longer have to concern themselves with one art form over the other; instead, the distinction between still images and video capture are set to blend into one seamless continuum.
    http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/sony-cmos...phy-297824.php

P.S. Not looking for D vs. A posts

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like just the thing for photojournalists. Some of these guys modified movie cameras back in the 1940's slowing down the fps so they could get still frame grabs without using mountains of film. Also seems like it could take the idea of 'if you shoot enough images, some are bound to be good' to the extreme.:rolleyes:

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, that just remind me that today I went to see a couple of exhibits at the Mois de la Photo in Montréal. The theme is "narrative" this year, and for better or for worse, there were quite a good number of video installations.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The sky is falling.

I let the future stay the future.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    sean:

i spoke with a ad rep in california a few months ago,
    she said that companies have been into this sort of thing for a while now.
    at trade shows the first questions asked are if the people represented
    shoot video or just images ...
    seems that they just shoot dv for the website video and take screen shots for the adverts.
    its almost as bad as having to burn a cd before the "set" is torn down
    with no time to edit bad images, or at least retouch ...
    i would hate to be the "tech" that sits infront of the screen all day sifting
    through endless video to find the screen shot that works. looking at contact sheets
    and/or 35mm chromes is bad enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This really doesn't change a thing. Those who hose-down the scenery and try to glean great images from the deluge have been around a long time. All it does is waste time and resources.

Problem is, there are only so many Garry Winograd types (one to my counting) and, as a famous motion picture producer once exclaimed, "From sh*t you get sh*t".

If you need further proof that people are not fooled by quantity over quality, just look the resurgence of popularity in LF in this day and age! People still value skill and craftsmanship.

I think pop culture will continue to shove crap on our plates, the only think is we don't have to eat it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    Sounds like just the thing for photojournalists.
    The trend in newspapers now that printed versions are on the endangered species list is to use more video in online versions. I know of several "photo"-journalists that have already gone this route. With more demand from publishers for video, it makes life much easier for them. Even my wife, who is a print journalist, is being trained in video production!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bill has it exactly right from what I can see, it won't be a still image of Barry Bonds hitting a home run that we will see, but a video clip, more YouTube than Times. The economics of printing a paper are not in its favor. Still it won't stop me from shooting stills.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the big problem with video grabs is the shutter speed. I know with Super 8 cameras running at 18 fps & normal shutter angle, the exposure time is approx 1/40 second. I'd guess video will be close to that. So it seems people going down this path will end up with a lot of blurry still shots once they do the frame grab.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sean, might I suggest you get right to work on OD-PUG; the Original Digital Photographers Users Group website. Imagine how fast that puppy would grow! Then again...most of them would probably be falling over each other to buy the newest gadget.

Murray

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin