Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,550   Posts: 1,573,066   Online: 841

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Often The LIGHT is all there is and all you need. I took a series of photos of a door. Just a dark, old, weathered door with a lighter area where it was patched and an old fashioned cast iron latch, the sort of thing most people would never notice or care about. I made the prints, and then looked at them... really looked. Not to beat my own drum, but they were good... very good. The grain of the wood, the texture, the detail, it was all there. No message, no agenda. A friend came to visit, and out of all the pictures on the wall, she said "I want that one". It was that old door. It was the Light.

Great photos Robert! Very sharp, contrasty and very interesting moments captured. Funny, I've never gotten over being afraid to shoot people so casually. Fine with family and friends though. Very good work.

For me, I too just want to capture an image and share it. Interpretation is theirs. And hopefully, it's a halfway decent shot technically as to not distract.lol As long as it's inviting to the viewer in the end and they enjoy it, I'm happy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Chris. One thing that helped was the large amount of OTHER photogs there!
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

I photograph people because they fascinate me.

Portraits, to make them look great, and to stop time. So they and other people can look at then down the road and to see them as they were.

Photojournalism, to make a statement, either their statement or mine.

I rarely do scenics but I love to look at old pictures of places that are no longer there or have changed considerably.

I think I have a melancholy approach to photography, and perhaps to life. I think I'm trying to stop time.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I heard this the other day:

First person (Actually a Lawyer in a non-legal role): "I've tried, but I just can't understand Art."

Photographer: "That's the trouble. Art is irrational - and you are trying to rationalize it. Too many people are trying to come up with a coherent "formula" for an irrational activity. Just relax and `Feel' it."

I agree. Comments?

Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Good comment.

I guess it's all part of the right brain , left brain quandry. We are trying to quantify the unquantifiable. The human being's need to put everything in a slot so he feels safe and comfortable.

Art is at it's best is probably uncomfortable, because it makes us think or react or at least evokes some sort of response.

The next question, is art that makes us feel comfortable, as good a piece of art as that which disturbs us.

I certainly don't have the answer.

Michael McBlane
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Treu. Art is visceral not logical. And it bugs me when it is overanalyzed.

----------------------

Thanks for the comment, Jdef.

If you don't mind...what's your filing system for negs and proofs? How do you keep track, what do you keep them in, and how do you keep things archival?

Always interested in how others do things.

dgh
    David G Hall

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use looseleaf binders, shoe boxes and brown paper bags. A pile for everything, and everything in its pile

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The easy way is this -

Buy two LARGE (3" is good) 3 ring binders for each format you shoot. One for chromes, one for negs. Make sure each format has a unique color (for example my 35mm binders are red). Mark one "SLIDES" and one "NEGS". You could even seperate it down to color or B/W if you have a lot of negs.

----------------------

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin