Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,679   Posts: 1,669,322   Online: 869

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Falling Man

Shooter
    Large Format
    But the no-meat-with-dairy thing? And the no cotton-wool or cotton-poly blends??? Those make no sense at all.[/QUOTE]

I think the thing with milk and meat is that cross contamination of likely bacteria will result in likely quicker spoilage, particularily meat to milk, but, I don't think the original inhabitants of the Middle East had to worry about poly blends.

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dr5chrome View Post

I never really did understand the photo-journalist mentality. Do they take such images because they are drawn to it, or do they do it to make a buck?

dw
    I personally get the instinct to record a situation. I've missed three in the past month or so, and I haven't stopped beating myself up for it.

My grandfather has become something of a town celebrity where he lives (a small town in the Black Forest), because he has a collection of some 33000 meticulously documented slides dating back to the 1940's.

The sense of nostalgia and have-beens is enough for me. If I could make a buck selling some image, hey, a guy's gotta eat.
    Vincent Purcell
    Lexington KY Photographer + Media Artist
    http://vincenttpurcell.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The "Falling Man" picture was iconic because it was photographed and seen by all.

The "Falling Angels" that day was not (to my knowledge, at least) photographed but seen by those of us standing below Tower One.

They were the inspiration for the title of a short-lived "off-off-off-Broadway" play.

They were two women who held hands as they leaped and appeared to fly away as their hands separated.

I saw them fall.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am not sure why people bring religion into something like this, maybe to make themselves feel better or attempt to grasp something they do not understand, but in reality it is really simple. You are above a fire created by jet fuel in a building. In places the fire reaches several thousand degrees. Heat rises. Add these together and I'd jump. Anyone would. Doesn't require much thought.

As far as the photograph is concerned, I would hate to see someone make a profit from something as tragic as the end of a human life, but in reality many have and still do. Perhaps the image will have some historical value in the end, but whatever its value, the man in it will see none, and it is no use to him. I am sure careers were made that day, and grand egos ruled many a journalist. I find Meyerowitz' book on the aftermath somewhat distasteful in many ways because of his perceived self importance. He seemed to me to be capitalizing on the tragedy, but I'll admit I don't know all the details.

In the end it was a tragic event and we will never really know the truth behind what happened that day.

Patrick

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin