Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,232   Online: 734

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    jbj

Shooter
    Large Format
    Looks like an advertising campaign for vogue magazine. Ads are meant ultimately to sell. Looks like they've got our attention so I guess they're on their way to succeeding. I'm not sure what the controversy is about or what you are implying with bringing their ad campaign to our attention.

Shooter
    35mm
    One the one hand:

"Uh, I dun't no much about art, but I know what I like!"

And on the other hand:

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate, to buy shit we don't need."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to process all his B&W film in NYC back in the late 80's early 90's. I didn't think much of him back then.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This reminds me of that great quote by Capa, something like: "The goal of every war photographer is to be put out of business."

This ad campaign takes photography in the completely opposite direction- it attempts to profit from war. And to make matters worse, that profit is not for some humanitarian initiative, it is simply for fashion.

Quite obviously, this photographer is baiting the Islamic media; he knows very well that this sort of imagery can have an incendiary anti-Western effect.

Can this possibly be ethical? Come on, it's not even worthy of a discussion of ethics.

Ethics notwithstanding, is this work new or innovative? Of course not. The fashion industry has been posing women like blow-up dolls for a long time, that's nothing new or creative. Implying that we just need to give the soldiers a little eye-candy to end a millennium of conflict, now that is just brilliant. Apparently we are supposed to think that if the troops have a little fashion orgy out in the desert, things will be better.

This photographer needs to put down his joint and get on a plane to Baghdad. Then, if he still has his head after a few months mingling with real people, then he will have earned the right to publish his new perspective.
    Last edited by keithwms; 09-22-2007 at 09:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Its dumber than dirt, but on the other hand, its every soldier's dream.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Whatever one thinks of the content, the lighting is very impressive.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by haris View Post
    My opinion on that photo series is: And?
    With a brevity that oft eludes me, haris has summed up my viewpoint concisely.

Nice lighting, buff boys, underfed plasticky chicks--sounds like fashion photography to me! And oooh, all that sweat! Makes me wanna BUY something! Just not sure WHAT!
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As a woman I also would say, exactly what would I want to buy from this ad? I'm betting it isn't meant for my demographic.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I apologize to Italy and Italians -- you produce no more degenerate fashion advertising piffle than anyone else, of course.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I find that, technically, photographs are wonderful and well done!. On the other hand, it would be better that these soldiers made love with these models than with iraqui civilian women.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin