Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,517   Online: 850

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, apart from the tatoo on the *rse its so not representative of my combat experience!! different war, maybe thats it.

Gari

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Most posters here seem to automatically conclude that this has something to do with Iraq.

Why? There are soldiers in a lot of other places too, in case you've forgotten.

... except for the pigmentation, the tall starved women made me think "Somalia"...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think that the photostory was kind of interesting but also predictable.

Oh, and I don't think it had anything to do with Somalia.

It's a bit of the same old, same old.

The US is stuck in a stupid war - but exiting is now likely to lead to even more of a bloodbath than staying.

Predictably, the European leftists once again unfurl the anti-American banner - although they are unsure how effective they can be when Sarkozy refuses to join them in the demonization.

Meanwhile, the US Administration engineered a short-term public relations reprieve here; not the least helped by the anit-war MoveOn.org giving them the opening to do so with their anti-Petreus ad in the NY Times. No one here, right or left wing, will countenance a direct "assault" on the honor of the military. This ain't no 'Nam!

Meanwhile, the Iranian clown is about to arrive here in NYC for the UNGA meeting. He's having a media field day with his posturing about wanting to visit Ground Zero. All this even as the "West" prepares to remove his nuclear threat. Iran is now pincered b/w the US in Iraq and NATO in Afghanistan.

The Syrian bombing was a "trial run"; and don't doubt that the North Koreans let their own folk get blasted rather than signal to Iran that they've switched sides on this by pulling them out. One has to think that the Syrian's didn't read the tea leaves right by continuing their low-level program this long. They should have taken a lesson from Quadaffi in Libya. He knew to when to get out of the nuke game.

Meanwhile, Mussharaf in Pakistan is about to join the Northern Spotted Owl on the endangered species list. Keep an eye on India's response in case he starts lobbing cannon shells in Kashmir to convince everyone in Islamabad etc. to "rally round the flag".

What a friggin' mess all around.

Now, you were talking about Benneton's photostory? :rolleyes:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ?!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    copake, you are without a doubt one of the most nonsensical people Ive had the luxury of "reading" online.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think this should almost be a case study on the fantasy of the solider/hero. the images seem like they are pulled from a lot of Vietnam/gulf war movie sets. I'm as offended at the irreverence as i am in awe of the idea even being produced. i don't know quite how to react, has our society gone to the point where we must de-sensitize in order to cope with world politics. - 2 cents from the peanut gallery.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's warriors and goddesses a story line that is as old and as simple as they get. There are a few current hot buttons thrown in (tattoo's, role reversal, some homo erotica mixed in and soldier's filming), but nothing too earth shattering or all that politically relevant or revealing. The lighting is very good and a bit over the top. It may attempt to be more, but I'm not seeing it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I cannot fault the production values or the execution of this project, but I am simply awed that it ever got made. Is Vogue saying to its affluent style-conscious clientele: "If you feel like gang-banging a bunch of GIs to relieve your boredom, here are the clothes that will make you look good while you're rolling in the mud"? (In actual fact, the clothes shown would probably not survive contact with mud and would need to be thrown away). Was the art director Jack Daniels? Or Johnny Walker? Or someone who saw "Easy Rider" and "Apocalypse Now" once? I note that the photographer is Steven Meisel, who brought us that model of taste and artistic refinement "Sex" with Madonna.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Seen worse, but would it be better in B&W? This may be great on CD and dropped on Iran prior to the next war.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keep in mind that it took place in a fashion magazine. Can one take anything seriously from a fashion magazine? They amplify things 1000 times reality. I should say that I think it is in bad taste, and I don't support the war, only that no one else gets killed, but who cares what Vogue thinks? If this was in Newsweek there would be something behind it. I just think they are trying to offend to grab attention. For the last few years I have been trying to figure out why Meisel is held in such regard. I haven't a clue yet. Very pedestrian images that anyone can do. This spread will disappear faster than a puff of smoke on a windy day.

Patrick

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin