Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,361   Online: 1017

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'd just hand over the negs, except for the ones you value as part of your portfolio. Controlling your negatives is for professional gigs where you make money off the reprints.

For the really nice ones, explain to your friends why you want them (ie, part of your portfolio, a valid concern) and give them good enough quality scans that they can go and make nice prints from the digital files. If they're going to the drugstore for prints they're not so discerning that they need the originals.

If they're stubborn about this, they're assholes. It's your work and you did them a really huge favour, saving them a ton of money. You might remind them of the cost of a professional wedding photographer.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Are these folks friends you want to keep?

If so, give her the negatives.

You volunteered to shoot pics as a friend and they agreed to pay you for your expenses. Seems to me that they own the negatives unless you have a written contract to the contrary!

If you value certain negs for future use - they can be duped (or you can scan them).

But I really do not think you can complain about the bride's request. It seems as if she just wants to be sure she can always get more prints made - even though it's unlikely she ever will.

Next time, if you want to shoot like a pro, for a friend or stranger, write a contract.

But meanwhile, consider this, is the matter worth losing a friend?
    I agree with everything you have said here.

I've shot two weddings for friends free of charge and did it solely as a favor and I knew what was being asked of me.

I'm not a pro, have no aspirations to be one, and it was their day not mine. I gave them the negs; they didn't need to ask. I scanned in the ones I wanted before mailing them off along with a couple prints.

I enjoyed neither shooting experience, btw. I would rather steel wool my eyeballs then shoot another and my hat is certainly off to those intrepid souls who make their living do this...
    Last edited by aldevo; 09-26-2007 at 08:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Print out this thread thus far and let her read it. Tell her you've asked for advice becasue it's not as simple a matter as she assumes.

Then if you want/need to negotiate something, she understands the context and that you're not being a >insert expletive here<.

Our wedding photographer was a UPS driver with a Hasselblad. He said he wanted to keep the negs for 5 years, 5-10 years if we needed something talk to him, after 10 years they'd be destroyed because he din't know how long they'd keep anyway.

I think someone already suggested scanning the negs (you choose the resolution, if you have a reason to) and give her a disc, telling her it prevents negative handling issues...?
    Murray

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    She's being a bitch and she knows it. Whether you turn over the negs or not- the friendship is in the toilet. You must remember, "No good deed goes unpunished".
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Give 'em the negs as a wedding present......
    and avoid any hard feelings! You did do it as a gesture of friendship, right?
    —Eric

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Don t think she is going to re order from the negs...probably wants control and since no prior agreement was reached, she will never understand why you won t give them up...I personally would not want to keep them and be responsible for the probably petty little orders that might come my way...many photog now give the negs-included in the price-it is not worth the loss of the friendship...they will just scan the prints anyway if you dont give up the negs..
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I KNOW... tell her you're an 'artist' and therefore have already destroyed the negs...! BTW - a REAL artist destroys the negs BEFORE the first print...!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    I enjoyed neither shooting experience, btw. I would rather steel wool my eyeballs then shoot another and my hat is certainly off to those intrepid souls who make their living do this...
    I agree with everything you have said here. It's a horrid experience. The last one I shot is also my last one ever. Fortunately it was also the most enjoyable - the bride was very positive and a lot of fun to work with. In fact I'm probably going to approach her for some large format portrait practice someday (she's a narcissist too, which helps ).
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Just say bye bye

I am not current on the law in the USA, but I reckon you have a moral right in the work, which may be more important than the copyright. Just be glad you did it at cost and not for free. Work done for free tends to be valued at less-than-zero. Like free advice (self-referential statement alert). It is better to share. Say, giving her a piece of your mind, for'instance.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Oh, BTW, I was recently kind of involved is something like this.

My brother and sister-in-law did one of these marriage vow renewal ceremonies (25th anniversary for them and a chance to do Catholic Church vows they couldn't do back then).

I never asked who was taking the pics. I just showed up with a couple of cameras.

Seems they'd hired some digi-kid photog (who even let his batteries run out during the vow exchange!). I think they're still waiting since last March for his "proofs"!

I shot as the "shadow" - just a family thing.

I sent them the scans on DVD and they loved them. They even had a couple of them printed.

Funny thing is, they never even thought to ask for the negatives! Maybe because they're family? Or maybe because they forgot that I shoot film?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin