Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,057   Online: 924

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ansel Liebowitz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dnmilikan @ Mar 8 2003, 11:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> School was tough, though, walking 13 miles to get there and 15 miles to get back home...never figured that one out. Uphill both ways too. </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    You forgot the part about being barefoot, in the snow

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Steve,
    You are absolutely correct. Thank you for reminding me. I have developed a phenomenon of my advancing age. It is called CRS which is an anocronym for
    Can&#39;t Remember S***. I almost forget my name somedays, but my cat...God love her soul reminds me. So far her input has kept the guys in white coats at bay.
    Now that you bring it up...as I recall it, those blizzards of early July were hell. But that is another tale for another day. Have a good day, friend.

Regards,
    Donald Miller
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Aggie,
    Wow, what a concept&#33;&#33;&#33; Can you imagine what a person could do with a whole pasture full of the stuff. I can just see it now, my own mini empire...hell, Dave Thomas has nothing on me... Wendy&#39;s &#33;&#33;, that is nothing my friend&#33;&#33;&#33; Can you envision Don&#39;s Emporium of Horses***?

"Yes", you say...oh you already knew???
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Aggie,
    I like the way you think...scairy, but attractive nevertheless. You want to form a enterpeneurial alliance here? We can probably take the world by storm. What kind of storm? Not sure there.

Seeing as I have gotten very little discussion on this topic I guess my little parody missed the mark and fell flat on it&#39;s face.

I will explain:

In the old days a movie studio, when it wanted to publicize a movie, it turned to its publicity department to produce photographs of the stars and hence we got the wonderful work of Hurrell etc. The studios also controlled the movienews reels as well as the photoplay etc magazines of it&#39;s day.

Nowadays the movie studios are part of mult national conglomorates that own all the major television networks, radio stations, book publishing houses, newpapers, and periodicals including Time, Newsweek and hundreds of others, as well as a myriad of other enterprises. Therefore when a new "blockbuster" movie is about to foisted on an unsuspecting public there is enormous saturation of various media to achieve this. Everything from, Good Morning America, to History Channel to Letterman to the covers of every magazine you can think of. This is all part of the new propaganda to entice us to attend this "blockbuster".

This brings us to the celebrity portrait photographer. These peope are the front men, if you will, for an enormous publicity machine to present these "movie stars&#39; to us in a favorable light.( if you&#39;ll pardon the pun). The photographers themselves are made out to be celebrities in their own right by the publicity machines and as such, must travel with an entrourage of well wishers and a** kissers.

The work, whatever you think of it, is essentially, photography by committee, and carried out as such. From conception to completion it is handled much like a movie itself. Some of us, in the people photography field have had mixed feeling about this for a while. This is not the work of Karsh, Newman, Eisenstadt etc.

To try to get a response I thought I would drive my SUV into the sacred cow of probably the majority of people on this forum. Namely the dedicated large format, educated, meticulous, and earnest people who consider Ansel Adams to be a master, among many others.

I wanted to see how you would feel about the kind of work you are passionate about being infiltrated and circumvented by people who work in the way of my character, Ansel Leibowitz.

Some of you might think this rather tedious as it has nothing to do with technique or favorite recipes (oops I did it again) but this is the ethics and philosophy section after all.

I will start another topic and see if there are responses to that.

Michael McBlane
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ahhhhh now it becomes clear&#33; It&#39;s just part of the general pattern these days. All hype, no substance, NO REAL TALENT (just like Hollywood). Image is everything. Ansel probably has a roady trip the shutter for him too (can&#39;t have the star break a nail). Too bad you mentioned SUVs, they are very politically incorrect. You see, Ansel and his movie buddies have decided YOU can&#39;t have one. After buying their SUVs, Hummers limos, private jets and multiple unoccupied mansions, they have (in their far greater wisdom) decided if you had *any* of that 1) the rain forests will vanish 2) you will be supporting terrorists 3) you will single-handedly bring on the greatest mass extinction the world has ever seen. They won&#39;t give up their luxuries but how dare you aspire to the same things. After all, they know what&#39;s best for you. Why is it that the most usless people in the world seem to always reap the greatest rewards and have the most outrageous egoes? Sorry to sound so bitter, but here on the left coast, this sort of stuff is starting to snowball. I don&#39;t even own *any* car, and yesterday got flamed for daring to say nobody would dictate what I choose to buy with my money.

How&#39;s that for spinning off on a tangent?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Aggie,
    Now that you have agreed to collaborate on this new venture, where is it that we should plan on placing it? I suggest somewhere that it will gain maximum exposure and be most fitting...something about the thought of a resort of this type placed near the southern terminus of Washington DC seems especially fitting now. I do hope that they have a prevailing southerly breeze.

If you have further ideas or suggestions, I think that enough of the raw material is being produced to open several resorts. Let&#39;s hear your ideas.

I can see it now...fame and fortune has finally arrived. What is it that someone said about 15 minutes of fame? God, I hope that I live longer then another 15.

Later,

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin