Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,546   Online: 983

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Amongst the cornfields & rednecks of central Indiana
    Here one with a twist....

I was asked to do a model/portrait shoot for a friend at a local park. She wanted the shot to show the hills in the background, during sunset. She also wanted some "standard" shots for her portfolio.

So, I plan for a great Saturday, weather looking nice and it's a date. When the day approaches, I grab my gear, a few tripods, a whole set of stands and my studio lights, and a long extension cord set (the park has power outlets&#33. I grab 3 assistants, a ton of film, and head out to the park. Getting there about 3:00p or so, I set up and she shows up. We start shooting. (It's a public park...)

About 5:15 rolls around, and some clown (straight-outta-the-local-college-photo-class) shows up with a small camera bag, about 30 people, and a few tables and folding chairs. He heads down to the little valley "outdoor theatre" area and stops short of the steps. He moans, bitches, and slams his gear bag down.

He comes up to me and lets go with "I hope you can move, I have to shoot a WEDDING here shortly. The bride wants the sun to be setting behind her when they are exchaning their vows."

Oh, I reply. I was planning on doing a shoot too. Maybe you can take one side of the meadow and I can take the other?

"NO. That is unacceptable. Do you have any idea how much more important a wedding is???" (Obviously, he didn't know I was a wedding photographer too)

"How much room do you need?" I ask.

"The whole valley. She doesn't want anybody behind, or around them while she is getting married. AND, I don't want to shoot with your junk around."

"Junk?"

"Those lamps and things."

"You mean my Elinchrom strobes??"

"whatever. NOW, if you could hurry up and move them, I'd like to start soon."

So, I hang around, smoke a cigarette, charge my power packs up, and grab my camera for MY shoot...

About 5 minute later, he came back up. "How much longer is this going to take?"

"Uh, about another 3 hours." I replied. "This is a public park, and it doesn't close until 10pm"

He was fuming. He waves the N90s in my face. "This is a PRO job, you know, I have more right than you."

That was when I went ballistic. I grabbed my Hassy, waved it in his face, and replied with a short "Mines BIGGER" (350mm lens). Then, I went back to shooting.

Well, the wedding started, I got a great set of sunset pictures for my model, she has about 10 of them at 16x20. And, their whole wedding had about 8000ws going off all around them, all night. When it was all said and done, they never got the sunset shot.

BUT, I gave the bride (one of my friends knew her) a great 16x20 of her and her husband against the sunset from my angle after the other idiot took the film to Walmart and the local microlab moron completely misprocessed the negs to be film-base only...when she showed me the negs, it looked like the film was never exposed...hmmmm. Karma?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (docholliday @ Apr 11 2003, 02:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Here one with a twist....

He was fuming. He waves the N90s in my face. "This is a PRO job, you know, I have more right than you."
    That was when I went ballistic. I grabbed my Hassy, waved it in his face, and replied with a short "Mines BIGGER" (350mm lens). Then, I went back to shooting.

...hmmmm. Karma?

</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    "I have more rights than you" ... I damn near wet my pants reading this one.

Here&#39;s one from my "book". I don&#39;t think I&#39;ve written about this one before.

Last autumn, I set out to do an outdoor figure study, using IR film. The location was a "Reservation" - a public "wildlfe conservation" area, here in overcrowded Ipswich, Mass. We arrived early, checked out the parking lot - empty - and from where we were going to shoot we could see anyone coming in. Secure enough - or so we thought.

We started ... me firing the &#39;Blad with Konica 750 - and the model dutifully fabric-free.

After the first roll of film, or so, I heard a noise from my right - it sounded like a children&#39;s Birthday Party - voices, and party noisemakers. Nothing to be concerned about - or so I thought.

Suddenly, over a ridge to my right, STREAMED a pack of dogs - must have been fifty or sixty of them - followed by - The Fox Hunting Crowd - decked out in their jackets and tight fitting pants, blowing horns and shouting "Yoiks&#33;&#33;" or whatever it is they shout.

I dodged out of the way. The model grabbed her dress and held it tightly against herself.

The crowd thundered by - except for one mounted rider who stopped in front of me, as if to say something. Before he could, I pointed to one of the "regulation" signs, - clearly in large type -, "Absolutely NO dogs Allowed". I said, "Doesn&#39;t say anything about photography - does it?&#33;" He paused for a second or two, and said, "I won&#39;t tell if you don&#39;t". I replied, "Deal&#33;" and he rode on.

It took a few minutes to recover - and the rest of the session went well.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ahhhhh...the outdoor figure study...Always a conundrum of sorts.

I thought I had this figured out. I shoot any outdoor figure studies up in the mountains on public land. Either well away from anything or just below an area where nudists tend to congregate (I mean THEy won&#39;t complain....)

One time though this back-fired. I was shooting below the nudist area and there was NOBODY around.

Or so it seemed. This area happens to be in a canyon below a waterfall. Above the waterfall is the nudist area.

So we are shooting. The model is in the buff. Everything is fine. Nobody is around.

I go to change my film back when I hear this loud "CLICK". In fact it was the exact sound you get when the mirror activates on an SLR. See canyons are GREAT at amplifying sounds. I look up and see a camera lens duck behind the top of the waterfall.

So I tell the model to wrap herself up for another shot in a sheet, and shoot a few junk frames. All the while looking out of the corner of my eye.

Yep. Somebody was up there poking a camera over the rocks for their own shoot&#33;

So I say "Hey, I gotta take a piss. Why don&#39;t you take off the sheet so we can do those other shots."

I walk to the base of the waterfall (dry at this time of year), wait a second, and then launch myself up it. It is only about 12-18 feet high and easily climbed. Plus I was PISSED.

I pop over the top right into the face of some schmuck with a low-end SLR (Rebel?) and one of those XX-300 zoom lenses.

Which he promptly dropped. Probably because I was running at him screaming like a drunken Viking.

I stopped.

Looked at the wreckage.

And climbed back down to finish my shoot.

Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robert Kennedy @ Apr 13 2003, 08:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Which he promptly dropped. Probably because I was running at him screaming like a drunken Viking.
    </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    I love this story.

Do you think Aggie might identify with this "Drunken Viking" bit?

Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin