Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,047   Posts: 1,560,997   Online: 1113

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well it's certainly understandable to feel the way you do with the 'photographer-friend' you described. I'd rather shoot by myself, too. However, on week-long photo trips trips, I have a couple of photog-friends with whom I can shoot with. We're all on the same wavelength and dividing the costs (gas & lodging) out between us really helps, too. Other than that, I do much better when I'm on my own.

On several occasions, I have gone with a friend or two who I enjoy being with, but they just want to get together to catch up on things while shooting. Although I bring my camera, I treat this as more of a scouting trip for a future shoot and usually don't take any photographs. And it's okay. I got to spend time with a friend, and, I'm set up for the next time I visit the place where 'we' photographed. :-)
    Last edited by Marc Akemann; 12-08-2007 at 04:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think myself and the husband are both still in a "learning stage" enough that keeping each other in check on the technical stuff is more of a help than a hindrance. We don't try to argue the B&W/Colour or composition thing against each other. Different things catch our eyes differently. Generally I would want to hit someone like who you described though
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "creativity is a fragile thing"

I agree!
    darr almeda
    Recent Work

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have never tried that. It would be kind of interesting to go on an image hunt with someone else. But I agree that it might be distracting.
    /matti

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I hate going out in cars looking for pictures out the window like youre hunting for pheasants. "What are you looking at you wanna stop?" "no I guess not" "Hey just let me know if you wanna stop"

If I am going to work with a friend then we have to be going to someplace we can get out and work for hours and then not breath down each other's neck. Just go sperate ways and meet back up later. I do have one friend I can walk along with and work. It is a matter of trust.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Svend Videbak View Post
    Why would you ever photograph with another photographer? Maybe if you're in a bad neighbourhood and need someone to watch your back...
    LOL! Not a bad idea, Svend. In fact I'm starting to do a bit of night-time photography and I had actually thought about the idea of bringing along a bodyguard ..eh.. companion to keep an eye out while I shoot. But from now-on, not another photographer! I think that a good dog would be perfect as long as it's not a pointer, indicating better subject matter!

As to your first question, when I was a teenager —and an absolute Ansel groupie-freak living in the Bay Area— a similarly-stricken friend and I used to go on "photo safari" in his VW camper-bus, leaving in the wee hours of the morning like some sort of fisherguys. We wanted to "catch the morning light" someplace or the other . . . just like Ansel surely must have done.

At that time I had good reasons to go shooting with a photo-friend:

1. It was fun (not that we weren't serious!). At that age (or stage) it was great to hang-out with someone who appeciated the exact-same interests.

2. I hadn't much of an idea of what to photograph anyway, and I was open to suggestions

3. To share expenses of the photo safari 'cause my mom was tired of paying for workshops

4. To share film and equipment

5. To share the experience (....something I no longer care to do .. that's why I called myself selfish. However —come to think of it—, perhaps the act of taking a photograph and showing it isn't so selfish, afterall. It's important, then, to have the right conditions to work under!)

Best,

Chris

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Fortunately, whenever I've photographed with other photographers, they've usually had good boundaries. If I do, I usually think of it as a scouting opportunity to see if I might be interested in coming back later on my own, and if I get something really good in the process, that's a bonus.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Edwardv View Post
    Hear! Hear! I feel that way too.
    Whew. I'm really glad to know that I'm the only one! In any case, thanks to all who have chimed-in, pro or con, on the question.

Best,

Christopher
    . . . . .

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Nisperos View Post
    But from now-on, not another photographer!
    not even with me?

I think I am quite good at keeping my mouth shut, when being with other photographers...

unless they ask my opinion..

but I can relate to your frustrations.
    I am more a studio man, and now and again, I take pictures (I never "shoot!) where other people are present.. and their suggestions can be frustrating. Sometime I listen - but mostly I pretend to listen, and then make my own images..

I once photographed a wedding (:rolleyes - and an "uncle" stopped me, because he wanted to straighten out some rinkles in the brides dress...

I let him - then asked him what he was doing, and went to the bride to make rinkles again! I had to do the pictures with my Diana (!!) so a straight dress would'nt have been good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As someone who has spent many, many hours photographing alone, I love to go shooting from time to time with other people. Sure it can have its distractions, but I also find the conversation can be very stimulating when there is someone around that does what I do. It is not as if you are attached at the hip either. As long as you respect the other photographer's space and they respect yours, what's the problem? Just set your boundaries ahead of time and no one gets hurt.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin