Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,823   Online: 905

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    When I am out shooting, I do like to go with another photographer sometimes. My problem is that the equipment draws people who distract me more than another photographer would.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Last week a hunter walking alone in Kananaskis Country was killed by a Grizzly bear. My wife freaked as I was out alone shooting the same weekend. So, I probably have no choice but the find a photo buddy. I have tried non-photo hiking companions, but they are usually to impatient to wait 30 minutes for me while I set up a shot.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I work alone, don t have that many friends really that would "put up with" or have the patience for my selfish obsessions.....I'd probably break my code of conduct however if Monty or Sandy showed up in the wild wild west.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilgallb View Post
    Last week a hunter walking alone in Kananaskis Country was killed by a Grizzly bear. My wife freaked as I was out alone shooting the same weekend. So, I probably have no choice but the find a photo buddy. I have tried non-photo hiking companions, but they are usually to impatient to wait 30 minutes for me while I set up a shot.
    Many hunters I know have a horror story or two to tell about how they've gotten into trouble exactly because they're sneaking around in the bush. I've got a big old wooden tripod with metal spikes at the ends of the legs that I whack against tree trunks as I walk along, and once in a while I'll give a loud hoot or two as well. In 25 years of wandering (mostly off trail) in the north coast BC rain forest I've never had a bad encounter with a bear. Hope it stays that way!

I go alone because nobody else likes to wander around in the pouring rain of the fall monsoons, or snowshoe through winter snow. My gear usually stays in the closet during spring and summer.

I prefer the quiet anyway.

Anybody who's gone by themselves a lot for two or three day hikes knows how much more they are aware of, compared to hiking with a partner. Being alone allows you to see and feel in a way that's impossible knowing someone else is nearby.

Murray
    Last edited by MurrayMinchin; 12-09-2007 at 11:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by n_mercenier View Post
    Like Jean-Loup Sieff, a well-known French photographer, who unfortunately passed away a few years ago, said: 'Photography is like onany, solitary'
    I do hope that he was not implying that we lone wolf by preference LF types are all wankers!

It can be difficult to tactfully turn down peers who want to make up a party, I just sneak off without telling them.

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I wouldn't say I hate it, but I find it much easier to shoot alone. I enjoy photography more when I get into a solitary contemplative mood, and being with someone else kind of distracts me through no fault of their own. I went on a hike a couple of months ago with some local photographers and it worked out fantastically though; we chatted a bit on the hike but didn't feel constrained to stay shackled together, met up for lunch at the end, and pretty much did our own things photographically. Ideal, as far as I'm concerned!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Nisperos View Post
    This will perhaps seem selfish, but as I get older I realize that I'm really beginning to hate being with another photographer when doing street shooting or fine-art landscape work.

As for commercial work; yeah, there's nothing better than good assistants. I don't have a lot of experience, but what little I have has taught me that a good assistant who notices details is fantastic.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post
    I go alone because nobody else likes to wander around in the pouring rain of the fall monsoons, or snowshoe through winter snow. My gear usually stays in the closet during spring and summer.

I prefer the quiet anyway.

Anybody who's gone by themselves a lot for two or three day hikes knows how much more they are aware of, compared to hiking with a partner. Being alone allows you to see and feel in a way that's impossible knowing someone else is nearby.

Murray
    After reading this entire thread, finally, someone I can identify with!

It's in those moments, in remote places, alone, that I find complete joy when composing a photo. There are still places that have been undisturbed by others - always off the path. I love hiking in the bush with compass and altimeter (not GPS, accuracy is questionable).

I'm somewhat of a loner, but not completely.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayMinchin View Post

Murray
    Exactly -- I do miss going on 7 to 11-day backpack trips by myself. On a few inside the grand Canyon, I would see no one (except for some folks floating down the river) for 9 days. One pretty much has to decide for oneself if one has having good time. And knowing a false move while exploring a side canyon with the 4x5 could result in an injury that could mean death, does gives oneself a heighten awareness.

Now that I have kids, I don't have the time, nor do I wish to takes such risks (well, not so extreme, anyway).

Vaughn

Images
    I love going out shooting with my father. I have no idea why, but we have an unspoken rule. If one wants to stop they stop and we leave each other alone. Aside from my father I have gone out with one other person and it was a good time for the same reasons. When it was time to take a shot we left each other alone. After that we talked.

I would suspect laying the ground rules before going out will help. I would go nuts if someone was trying to talk while I was shooting, or offering advice. It is possible to be alone and solitary when you are with another person, that person just has to agree to it.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The fun part with a group outing is the after-shot beer. Plus, you can learn a lot by just watching other people doing things you never thought of doing. If you find something interesting, you can always go back and shoot alone.

Alex W.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin