Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,723   Posts: 1,514,992   Online: 1201

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As much as like hanging out with other photographers and talking shop over coffee or beer, it strongly depends who is coming along with me, if he/she is in the same headspace as I am, no problem.

I hate large groups, did that once with the street shoot workshop with the 06 APUG Conference in Kensington Market, never again.....
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I can make photographs in either situation. The only caveat I have is that you probably should team up with a photographer that is similarly skilled as yourself. Otherwise, it might turn into a one on one workshop. It is truly amazing that two photographers can go to the same place and come up with a different view of the same area.
    A New Project! Transformations 02/02/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Unlike the OP, I'd like to have more opportunities to shoot with a companion photog, particularly when doing "street" or "event" kinds of shooting opportunities.

Oh, I agree that I really wouldn't want to do so with someone who feels a need to add in negative commentary on my shots. But it would be nice to have a "buddy" to bounce ideas off of when I wasn't sure how to set up the shot. Or to notice, for example, the possibility of something like saturation etc. and remind me to bracket the shot.

I do think you need the "right" kind of companion. One who you're comfortable with enough to listen to advice from - but also one who "knows" when not to advance any advice. In other words, I think you need a "buddy". The kind of person who you'd also go catch a ballgame with or meet for a couple of beers at the local bar/pub just to chat.

To me, the sad thing is that as I get older it seems much harder to find that kind of non-judgmental companion shooter. I guess it's the inevitable "loss of wonderment" that aging brings upon us and with it the greater difficulty of just "connecting" as friends first - fellow shooters second.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think I should clarify my previous comment about preferring to shoot with a buddy. I mean just one other person, a personal friend, a photographer of similar skill. My best bud photographer friend that goes with me is such a person, and we enjoy each others company whether shooting or not. I don't think I like photography as a "group project" though, just one "bud" is fine. The only negative thing about him, is that he shoots that "steenkin" digital stuff.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I heard about a class at the school I went to which happened before my time, I find it an inspirational lesson. Lee Freidlander had visited the school, talked and showed some slides, then the plan was to go out on the street with him to watch him work etc,... Well, no sooner did the group set out doors then did Lee Dissapear,... And there's not a lot of space to hide in Denver. No crowds etc,... I like that aspect of street work, in and out with out a trace,...

Shooter
    35mm
    When I work alone, I talk to myself allot. How does that count?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    When I work alone, I talk to myself allot. How does that count?
    Only counts for much if you answer yourself. I don't talk much to others or myself...perhaps "Must be about time for a beer." followed by "Certainly sounds good to me."

Vaughn

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Only counts for much if you answer yourself. I don't talk much to others or myself...perhaps "Must be about time for a beer." followed by "Certainly sounds good to me."

Vaughn
    Thats what we do here, right Jason... right.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't think I've ever shot with another photographer. It would certainly annoy me if the kind of things happened that you described.

I would just keep my mouth shut and do my thing and not interfere with others...

----

That's a lie. I have. I've shot concerts with other photographers. Half the time I don't even know what I'm shooting, let alone seeing what others are shooting. Nobody said anything to me about my choices either.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin