Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,233   Online: 1083

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    In general, I like to shoot alone, but there is one photographer (who is also a very good friend) with whom I really enjoy shooting. When we go out together to shoot, we are each really working "alone" in that we both work the scene our own way, in our own time, according to our own style. We are both patient, happy to wait for the other to finish working a subject, ask each other for advice (but never offer it wtihout asking!), and even look through each other's cameras to see what the other is seeing.

We also tend to see the same subjects as desirable in that when we're driving along looking for stuff to shoot, we tend to jump at the same subjects, the same scenes, and get equally excited at the subject matter. With a fellow photographer like that, I am more than happy to shoot with a partner.

But if he's not around, then I prefer to work alone.
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd like to go out shooting again with my father. It has been too long...

Matt

(I guess this is another way of saying that it really depends on who you are shooting with).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes..and No - start with yes first, it is much easier to stop when I see something, without having to worry if anyone else wants to stop. More important, at least as of late, no need to check to see if I'm in their way or vice versa, working indoors with more than one other person becomes a bit of challange - we are either working the same areas or tripping over each other (or tripods).

No, as David Brown mentioned, there are a few of us working a project together and have to say that the guys I work with are really great. Each has his own approach, so there is little overlap as far as work goes..plus these guys make me better than I really am.

One issue for us is that we do not want to have several prints of just a few locations, so we have found that working alone will help us with that issue. Now the BS factor does go up when we are out together, and a lot less work is produced, but the day is just as nice.

So, it depends, but I have found that shooting with non-photographers or family to be less than a good time (in part because I feel guilty about having them 'sit' while working an photograph or waiting for the light).
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i shoot alone most of the time,
    unless i am with someone else,
    then i tend to talk too much

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I feel really self-conscious when shooting with anyone else, especially another photographer. Shooting alone is meditative for me....
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Much happier alone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My .02

Wow, that's why the APUG road trips are normally devoid of people except a few diehards. While I can see valid reasons against people going out mob handed, or even just two people in some cases. I do like to go out and make images on my own, but I also like to share that experience and find it interesting to see how others work and interpret similar scenes. I also learn things every time I go out. If anything lately, I take more images when I am out on an expedition with another APUG'er or two. I like the ability to bounce ideas off of someone else, and talk smack. Okay socialize if you like. However for me, it does not detract away from the purpose of image making. I have made some of my most successfull images when other like minded people were there. It really does not bother me at all. If anything, it has made me work harder for the shots I like to take. Similarly, there are occasions when having another body around can help in some of the more questionable locations we shoot in around the milling and silos areas we frequent.

Another case in point was the MN APUG trip up north this September which ended up with just 3 folks in tow. I never once found that we tripped up over each other and it seemed we all respected each others personal space and way of working. It was not something that was even discussed, it just happened. We all made some interesting images that stood up on their own as well. It was still a very meditative experience for me as other have said who go out solo, but I had the benefit of very good company, and good times around making food and camping, and just hanging out and taking photos in a very special place.

Shooter
    35mm
    Being alone is one of the main reasons I photograph.
    Jeff Polaski
    "A full-time job seriously interferes with photography."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Always alone, for the following reasons:

if I'm shooting street I need to change direction suddenly, accelerate/decelerate in anticipation of "the moment"
    photography is "my time" away from the family and everything else
    when I'm trying to be creative the last thing I need is someone yapping away or trying to second guess me

Lol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sometimes I'll go with a friend or a group - just for fun, but I never expect to get any good work done. When I photograph for real, I always work alone

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin