Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,541   Online: 829

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Falling in and out of love....aah!....eh!..

I am currently preparing for a rather large show, and have just done some preparations for two other ones. As a musican, I am fully aware of the notion of having a repertoire....a group of pieces I can be fully prepared to play with very little notice, but they are the compositions of others. I make my best efforts at bringing them to life, but my mission is to reveal the expression of the composer as filtered through my lens, but I don't have to adjudicate the value of the work....it's established.

My photographs, however, are subject to a much more emotional crucible. When I make them, I either really, really like them....or I really, really don't, and they're "outta here". BUT...and the point of this thread...is that my feelings about my most favored work can vary considerably, and can sometimes be extremely negative which amazes me since it was "not so long ago" that I thought AA and EW should offer me a high five for it.

Am I alone in this regard? Do ya'll experience a similar swing?
    Last edited by jovo; 12-31-2007 at 07:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Absolutely. For varying periods of time I really like most of my prints, but soon enough I can't stand some of them. I find myself obsessing on the imperfections of the print itself, the composition, the tones, subject matter etc. Sometimes this can me motivating to move on and do new things, sometimes it makes me want to take up knitting.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    where and when is the show ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    where and when is the show ?
    The largest show is at the Wallkill River School and Gallery in Montgomery, NY. It's a new gallery organized by artists. My wife ( a real, and incredibly good painter, printmaker, and photographer ), and I have been juried into membership as represented artists. There is a show of the 20 or so represented artists beginning January 12th. My wife and I have a duo show in March with an opening on March 8th. If you can get there, you are all invited. I'll do my best to provide some seriously worthwhile libations! And thank you for asking, david b.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'll be heading that way in March. I'll be sure to have a look.

Good luck.

Peace Love and Happiness.

Happy New Year.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An interesting question. Especially when tied somewhat to music. As a recording musician I found that once I opened the perception door of "music production" I could no longer listen as an innocent bystander as it were. And I never found a door though which I could return. Also, on the music front I found that if I listened immediately after recording I would usually not like the take finding too many perceived flaws in the performance. But even a few hours separation between recording and listening would "smooth" the performance out quite a bit. Gross errors were of course still gross errors but the tiny little things I didn't like at first listen would have dropped more to the background. The one thing I did learn through this is that there will NEVER be a "perfect" take". I'm a human and not a machine thus I will never produce a perfect anything. The satisfaction for me is of course getting as close to perfect as I can given the situation.

In the area of photography things are a bit different. Some of the photos I have from years ago which I thought at the time were wonderful have not aged well. I think this is (in my case anyway) because those photographs were pretty good for a student of the art but a more experienced eye sees the .....shallowness if you will. Others have stood the test of time and I still see a good photo as I view them because they are good photographs. They have the "depth" that good photos have. Of course now this gets into what defines a "good" photo and I admit my tastes in this run along classic lines. Good composition. Balanced graphic "weight" through the image. A visual lyricism if you will.

The photo's I still like from 20 years ago have these components. The ones I don't like anymore are lacking in one or more of these areas.
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=10716
    http://home.comcast.net/~rem700a/westviews.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My congratulations on your upcoming exhibit. Self criticism is both an ally and and enemy. I rarely am satisfied with my own work, and that keeps me going to an extent, but you have to watch out for habitual denegration, which in my opinion is nothing but another form of egotism. I regret having to say this, as I defy it in practice, but having outside feedback and bringing your work to both an informed public and professional critics is ultimately how something is finally judged. You are not responsible beyond the creation of a work. Your
    responsibility is only to show it, not to judge it. Many of us would rather not enter the fray and unfortunately this leads to stagnation and endless churning. Best of luck, and enjoy the wine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alden View Post
    You are not responsible beyond the creation of a work. Your responsibility is only to show it, not to judge it.
    Good advice.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    which amazes me since it was "not so long ago" that I thought AA and EW should offer me a high five for it.
    OK, John, now that's just funny ...

Am I alone in this regard?
    No. I know other photographers and painters that are very harsh about their own work.

Do ya'll experience a similar swing?
    Personally, no. I don't include myself in the group I just mentioned.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    OK, John, now that's just funny ...
    Aaaaiiiiieeee.........you don't think they would've???.....oh grief!...oh sadness...!!! (Is there a silly enough emoticon for this?? :rolleyes
    John Voss

My Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin