Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,935   Online: 778

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Aggie @ May 8 2003, 03:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Well, I like to photograph old decaying and junk, throw in a good measure of sh** and you have me. What kind of symbols and images does that say about me? </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    I am facinated with ruins ... of course ruins in California are decaying abandoned structures from 60 or 70 years ago. I shot some photos today of a diner made from stones just outside of Las Vegas. it was at least 200 sq feet inside and there were four stone cottages with fireplaces all about 100 sq feet. The wind was blowing the doors open and shut and cats were wandering around inside. I figure it was abandoned when the freeway went in (40 years ago?) and people didn&#39;t stop 30 minutes from Vegas to stay in a tiny little place. This was really a pre-shoot. Kind of like circling the wagons, I go in and shoot a roll all around just to get the feel of the images of the place. Then I go back with more camera and more time (less wind) and make the shot I really want. I want the place to look dignified - those that built it made a really cool place - I don&#39;t want it to become completely ephemeral art. But it is what it is - memories of a diferent time - in decay.
    Frank
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In studying the work of Aristophanes, the Greek playright, I came across an essay (citique?) describing his work. Written in some rather flowery syntax:

"They are the strains of not an artist, but of one who warbles for pure gladness of heart in some place made sweet by the presence of a God."
    He went on to describe his work as "dithyrambic".

Given my level of understanding of EVERY word in the English language, it was an immediate GO to the "Funk and Wagnalls Standard College Dictionary" - bear with me here;

Dithyramb - n.
    1. In ancient Greece, a wild, passionate, choric hymn or chant sung in honor of Dionysus and constituting the direct forerunner of Greek drama.
    2. A highly emotional or rhapsodic speech or piece of writing.

and:

Dithyrambic - adj.
    1. Pertaining to or resembling a dithyramb.
    2. Passionately or wildly lyrical; rhapsodic.

I think, somewhere inside of me, I had a sort of diffuse definition of the "way" I was following in my work. Reading the above, that "vision" was crystallized into a much sharper focus.

The second defintion of "dithyrambic" - THAT is the direction I WANT to follow- my hope that my work will be like that - and my "target" for the future - "Passionate and wildly lyrical: rhapsodic".

Comments?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Is it I that bring voice to this melody or is it the melody that gives voice to me?
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wherever this belongs ...

The question of "Is Photography Art?" has another answer, from a participant here - Thomas Sauerwein's web site has a statement-definition that I agree with - a ton!!

I'll repeat it here ...

"Through a chosen medium, a visual artist's responsiblity is to go beyond a skillful use of the craft and give the viewer something mental to carry with them, a place to revisit always."

I visited his web site recently - and to me it is one of the best - uh .. a wonderful place to BE - with lots of great work everywhere.

Something from his site to remember:

"The day I stopped chasing great photographs and started chasing the light, I understood that photography is art."

Where is my chisel? ... I've got to carve that in stone somewhere.

Check it out ... http://www.thomassauerweinstudio.com
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [quote="Ed Sukach"]Wherever this belongs ...

"The day I stopped chasing great photographs and started chasing the light, I understood that photography is art."

So, he stopped trying to MAKE it happen and instead he now simply LETS it happen. His work probably improved drastically, and I bet he enjoys it more too.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ...and can discover equally-valid attributes about one's self through, say, carpentry, parenthood, or poker playing.

Over the past couple of centuries "art" has come to occupy much of the spiritual function formerly controlled exclusively by religion in western society -- the longing for undestanding of the unknowable other, connection to the universe (including, potentially, a universe populated by "pure signs" in a Jungian or Platonic-ideal sense), etc. Artist as shaman has been a dominant form for at least 150 years. In this respect, photography can be a path to personal knowledge -- but it's difficult to say if any disciple would gain more from working on Photoshop or simply mumbling ancient texts onto the stone floor of your monk's cubicle before undertaking a day of hard labor in the fields.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I really have a lot to say on this But right now I really need a Shower. But I agree with Ed's first response in this tread, absolutally! Also to visiting my sight I really enjoy hanging out there myself! Thanks Ed.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin