Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,698   Posts: 1,482,558   Online: 886

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Penny wise

</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fhovie @ May 20 2003, 04:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Ahhh yes, Robert - but the capitol is tied up. If I had it in an investment like a real estate protfolio mutial fund, I could be making 15% on that money. - So ... that is 62.50 a month in lost opportunity on the money aaannnnddd .... depreciation. Which occurs on the newer items I have - most of my stuff I bought already depreciated. I figure this hobby costs a few dollars a day without clicking the shutter. (Almost as much as I would spend on consumables if there are no real projects going)
    </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>

If you think like that you&#39;ll never buy anything-)) Look on the bright side. The mutual fund might tank and your camera stuff might go up in value. I just spent 30 minutes fixing the stove that somebody managed to break a knob on. One screwdriver and a pair of pliers and I saved myself a service call. Don&#39;t know if that means I can spend money on film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

You people really think about stuff like this? Why? I won't even begin to recount what I have invested in photo gear collected over 30 years. It's sick I'm sure. If I would have invested all of that money in.....something....(frozen orange juice futures?)....I'd be "rich." Then what? Sit around and look at my bank statment? Ooooohhhh, that sounds like a rewarding adventure. Photography helps you live your life. Discover new things, challenges you, makes you think, makes you work - Now, how much is THAT worth?

Images
    Steve, well said.

Now everybody else--- get out and take more pictures.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

I grew up along the American river in Northern California, and returned this weekend with my son. We saw some guys fly fishing, as I always did growinig up. As my 5 year old was talking to them and asking to see the flies, etc, it dawned on me that in years and years of watching guys fly fish, I have never seen them actually catch a fish.

So I asked a group of guys, all decked out in beautiful and expensive Orvis and Simms gear, casting their Leica rods with Schneider lines and Hassalbad engineered flies, what they caught on that day.

Nothing. That's not the point, they explained. The point is to be there hip deep in icy water, casting.

For about a second I was amused, and then I instantly flashed to all the times I have been hip deep in sunset lit grass somewhere, Arca Swiss and unblinking Rodenstock ready, "casting" for a fish that has yet to adorn my wall or someone else's wall or even an album.

Why we do what we do...

dgh
    David G Hall

Images
    David Hall, Sounds like you grew up in Fair Oaks or there abouts? I've from Orangevale. BVHS '73
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hall
    I grew up along the American river in Northern California, and returned this weekend with my son. We saw some guys fly fishing, as I always did growinig up. As my 5 year old was talking to them and asking to see the flies, etc, it dawned on me that in years and years of watching guys fly fish, I have never seen them actually catch a fish.
    Nothing. That's not the point, they explained. The point is to be there hip deep in icy water, casting.
    I'm not sure if that's it. either. To me, there is not a whole lot of diffference between Fly fishing and Photogrphy, at least at one level: I feel a whole lot better doing it than I do *Not* doing it.

Perhaps we do it so that we talk about it afterwards. I can remember one memorable incident on the Little Ossippee River in Maine -
    I was in the middle of the stream, casting away - when I realized the urge to GO - always a problem when wearing chest-high waders. So -- slosh over to the bank, climb out, walk thitry yards or so up the hill, to be screened from public view. Lay the rod (Thomas & Thomas) against a tree, remove the vest. Wiggle out of the wader suspenders, bring them down around the ankles. Uh ... unbutton, lean against a tree, taknig care that the angle of one's body is sufficient to *miss* the waterproof waders below...
    ... And look up to discover a *very* interesting young lady who had swum across the river and was heading up the hill directly at me ... topless...

Talk about babbling like an idiot... I was trying to think of some suave explanation for the waders around my ankles....

[/quote) ...Why we do what we do... [/quote]

I don't know. Maybe it is some kind of weird reaction formation directed against money. I've caculated that Brook Trout costs me US$987.03 an ounce (15g) ... and photography ... I don't even want to think about the cost...
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You'd better not start me on fishing stories...

Shooter
    Large Format
    As I recall Mike Johnston wrote a column describing an exercise similar (in spirit) to Les' journal. Mike's exercise was simple: shoot a roll of film (I think he suggested one 36 exposure roll of 35mm) every week, get it processed, select the best picture and get it enlarged to at least 11x14 and put it on the wall somewhere very visible. Live with the picture for a week. Repeat at least ten times.

He felt it was important to live with the enlarged pictures. At a workshop last summer Tillman Crane described how he puts work prints up on the wall and lives with them - and uses a red sharpie to highlight what didn't work, or could be improved.

Bill
    Bill Laidley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've spent a fair amount on both photography and fishing gear. They both can be relaxing and rewarding, or frustrating. It's the times you get skunked that make the successful outings so sweet. When you compare their cost to necessities like food, shelter etc, the cost is negligible anyway. Unless I missed my guess, everyone here has to work for a living one way or another, and act "responsible" most of the time, so as long as the essentials are covered, no one has a right to question what you or I spend on our toys or what we do "on our time".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin