Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,764   Posts: 1,484,066   Online: 1180

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Penny wise

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have to laugh at myself from time to time - especially when I see others doing it too. I think about how many times I have had to buy something two or three times and how much money I spent to save money.

Example: -
    I want to capture a great sand dune:
    Drive to Death Valley - all time spent - 14 hours for the trip and the shots
    time - (hobby time takes away from other valuable activities)
    fuel - tires etc $60.00
    Cost of camera, lenses, assessories - $3,000
    Cost of film $15
    Cost of darkroom equipment $2000
    Time spent developing this lot - proofs - picking the one(s) to work on and printing time 16 hours

Now --- let me put this in perspective:

30 hours, $5000 in equipment to create a print I'll spend more to frame - and sell??
    (Consider the costs if you flew there and stayed for a week)
    How much can I save on fixer ... or developer? or film??
    It seems silly to me. If I spent $30 on consumables in the whole process it would be .6% of the capital costs not including time.
    Now add the time spent pondering how to save money on consumables ...

Conclusion:
    I wish I had not tried to save money on lenses - $1000 in losses from resale to upgrade
    I wish I had not tried to save money on Light meters $750 more than I needed to spend
    I wish I had not tried to save money on my MF camera system - $ I won't go there

I have got to stop this MADNESS!

BTW .... I am looking for a good cheap 150mm Sironar with Multicoat (this time) ...

Frank
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

As I often tell my wife, "Quality, alone, withstands the test of time."

To which she responds, "If it's so good, how come you always want something else?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

You only spent $30. The rest of the money is for stuff you can use the next time and the time after that.

If you want expensive look at a fully equipped Norm woodshop. Those guys spend big money. Worse they always are looking at something new to do what the tools they currently have will do. Then if you actually buy any wood.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Well let me put it this way. My friends is so overboard with tools that he had to build a heated shop for everything. That's just the stuff that stays at home. The kit that he takes to the jobsite tends to stay in the truck.

He's lucky that he bought the stuff over the course of I guess 25 years. He also has cheap tastes in wood-)))

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robert @ May 20 2003, 10:21 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> You only spent &#036;30. The rest of the money is for stuff you can use the next time and the time after that.
    </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Ahhh yes, Robert - but the capitol is tied up. If I had it in an investment like a real estate protfolio mutial fund, I could be making 15% on that money. - So ... that is 62.50 a month in lost opportunity on the money aaannnnddd .... depreciation. Which occurs on the newer items I have - most of my stuff I bought already depreciated. I figure this hobby costs a few dollars a day without clicking the shutter. (Almost as much as I would spend on consumables if there are no real projects going)

Then then I create a masterpiece&#33;&#33; (yes, I amuse myself pretty easily) and it is all worth while. - >>>>now I AM laughing out loud.
    Frank

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Aggie @ May 20 2003, 11:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I have about 30 pairs of specialty pliers. Average cost of around &#036;100 each. Then my collection of files, there are about 200 in it, avewrage cost of around &#036;30 each. Then the hammers, the saws, the picks, solder, extra torches, grinders, sanders, pickle pots, steamers, buffers, ultrasonics, and then you can get into other tools, shears, rolling mills, etc. A wood shop has nothing on me. Then I can start to buy gold and platinum. After that the gem stones. If I go cheap I do silver. Right now most of it is stored. No space for it to be fully set up. </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Aggie:
    One of my other hobbies is collecting and restoring antique fountain pens. A lot of the same tools - fortuantly - not quite as bad - only 5 or 6 pliers, picks etc - Nib repair tools - so a lot of the metal working stuff. Ultrasonic cleaner and dremmels and polishers. ..... Maybe I don&#39;t want to remember all this stuff .....
    Frank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "30 pairs of specialty pliers. Average cost of around &#036;100 each. Then my collection of files, there are about 200 in it, avewrage cost of around &#036;30 each."

Yikes, Aggie&#33; I was a jeweler for 12 years and at no point had more than 8-10 pliers or 20 files. Of course, now I&#39;m NOT a photographer and have an unheard of number of lenses and cameras. Maybe that&#39;s the difference between an amatuer and a professional -- only the amature can afford to splurge

Very Funny Topic Frank&#33; Just had to laugh. I&#39;m sure one of those that have had hobbies that have cost a fortune. Spent a tiny one on a salt water reef setup once, sucked money like you wouldn&#39;t believe lol. Don&#39;t like to think about it, and the same came be said with photography gear over the yrs. And here I am complaining about the cost of fix and developers LOL Oh well, what can I say, I&#39;m an extravagant splurging at times, but otherwise a cheap at heart lol

Now, let&#39;s not add my woodworking equipment and tool shop setup costs, computers that were &#39;really&#39; not needed over the yrs, as well as the workshops and travel vacations. Whew...that was scary&#33;

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin