Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,550   Posts: 1,573,069   Online: 814

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A thin black border around a high key image can effectively separate it from a white mount. I don't mind that, and in fact I sometimes "simulate" the effect by applying black "map tape" at the very edge of the mounted image.

But to print in the image frame including sprocket holes and the manufacturer's imprint on the rebate is pretentious schlock.

And to add that using an overlay - whether using film or PS - is sheer fakery.
    Louie

jss
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i posted a transcript of my interaction with the photographer here:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/content/?q=node/75

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use black borders all the time when I've got an image without detail in a large area on the edge of the photo - most likely the sky. I don't matt most of my prints so they look better this way. otherwise it feels really weird looking at it. Sloppy borders on the other hand, I find rarely work. It seems a lot of new photographers will use them because they look so cool but then grow out of it. I can't really think of many prints in which I've made where sloppy borders have helped.
    Two days ago I made a print without any border of any kind and I don't plan to matt it either. I use whatever works...

jss
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i jst had to post this as soon as i saw it. it's a promotional ad for a bollywood movie. i saw the border and thought to myself.. WHAT.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jss View Post
    i jst had to post this as soon as i saw it. it's a promotional ad for a bollywood movie. i saw the border and thought to myself.. WHAT.

Gotta get me a camera that can do that!
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yeah, that's the Deardorff 5x12" with the 6x7cm sliding masks. It's great when you can get all the stars of the film on the same sheet in different settings and lighting conditions.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's the silliest thing I've seen in a while...why on earth would anyone bother to *do* that?
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aaahhh, Bollywood! You have to know what goes on there to know why they did this!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JHannon View Post
    I was just curious to see what others think about this trend and do you use this in some of your prints.

Regards,
    John
    I did it when I first got into shooting large format (just a few months ago) but quickly realized that it was a crutch - a way to make a mediocre photograph more interesting by making its origins more prominent. I've stopped including the film borders except in rare cases.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    I've stopped including the film borders except in rare cases.
    Like for the ones that limp a little?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin